2022 Expy Preview

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the new headlights. My son has a 21 F150 Lariat and it's a great truck. They really stepped up the interior. Love the 12" Sync 4 screen. Don't like the new front end look though.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And the rear end kind of looks like a cross between a QX80 and a new Yukon. But otherwise, if this were the new style, it's not a huge shift, which can help reduce the shock for us current owners.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't know of this is true, I'm not in love with it, but I don't hate it as the f150s Interior is very nice and still newish. The generator as an option will be amazing for this.

While I'm okay with an interior refresh, what I can say is that if it's based on the '21 F150's interior I would pass just based on my current experience. Here's the thing, my current rig has enough creaks and moans with the plastic interior, like going over curbs to go up my driveway, I can hear things flexing all the time. And I get it, every manufacturer is using tons of plastic everywhere, but some tend to at least put them together a little better.

I have been driving a '21 F150 for two weeks now since my expy's in the shop again. The interior to me feels more like that of a Hyundai 10-15 years ago. example, the picture below of the driver side vent. Its essentially 3 layers of plastic, all separate pieces that feel like junk. Literally, just a little pressure from my hands and I get all of the pieces to flex/move. I noticed it when I kicked the heater on full and went to adjust the fins. Anyone recognize the old school layers of shiny plastic people would buy off of eBay and slap them on the dash to get fake carbon fiber looks? I'm not talking about the decals, but actual plastic trim pieces? It feels like that. And the issue is everywhere, the center console fitment is gnarly, the trim is gnarly, etc.

Additionally, and not related to plastic, I've noticed a few things about this. It has Sync4, which on the surface is barely different from 3.4. I don't even notice that its snappier, in fact it's a little clunkier. I've had issues with USB playback that I don't have on my 3.4. It's a more pleasant screen experience, but that's about it. A huge annoyance was something I experienced yesterday. Now to be fair, this is only an STX, so I realize it doesn't have the fully electronic cluster like a plati would, but the stupid thing was telling me a passenger door was open. But the icon on the dash appears to only show the drivers side door open. And the message says "passenger door" but it doesn't tell you which one. So I tried several times to close the rear drivers side door, but the message wouldn't go away. So I had to walk around the vehicle checking every door (as it wasn't obvious physically, since all appeared closed). Finally, it turned out to be the passenger front door. How cheap and stupid, my parents 1987 Subaru GL-10 had an analog door display that showed exactly what door was open.

I've also noticed a few other things, this model doesn't have an engine cover, as others have noted in their '21 expy's and the engine in this is way ugly compared to ours. For some reason on this one, I can hear a clicking and swooshing sound every time I hit the brakes, sounds like the master cylinder. Kind of annoying. The truck bed, anyone know if it's a couple layers of AL? When I walk on the bed, it creates these popping noises. the only way I can explain it is if sand was stuck between two layers of the AL.

But on a good note, it doesn't have the wastegate rattle, even at cold startup! I will say, I wish I could afford to have a truck as a 3rd car right now, I do like having a truck around, but it's not practical as a daily driver with 2-3 car seats and still having room for groceries etc.

PXL_20210414_144103172.jpg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the new F-150 front end. First one I’ve liked on reception in a while. They went back to their Ford-esk styling from the 2000’s that I always liked. Big bold headlights and grilles. A lot like the 08-10 Super Duties and 09-14 F-150’s with the huge headlights. Prefer them to the squinty c headlights. This rendering isn’t that accurate on what the Expy will look like I’d say.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe not, but if history shows us anything, the Expy interior is pretty darn close to the previous F series. It's a cost cutting measure to use as many like for like parts as possible. But I do agree, I like the front end more than the previous generation.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I'm okay with an interior refresh, what I can say is that if it's based on the '21 F150's interior I would pass just based on my current experience. Here's the thing, my current rig has enough creaks and moans with the plastic interior, like going over curbs to go up my driveway, I can hear things flexing all the time. And I get it, every manufacturer is using tons of plastic everywhere, but some tend to at least put them together a little better.

I have been driving a '21 F150 for two weeks now since my expy's in the shop again. The interior to me feels more like that of a Hyundai 10-15 years ago. example, the picture below of the driver side vent. Its essentially 3 layers of plastic, all separate pieces that feel like junk. Literally, just a little pressure from my hands and I get all of the pieces to flex/move. I noticed it when I kicked the heater on full and went to adjust the fins. Anyone recognize the old school layers of shiny plastic people would buy off of eBay and slap them on the dash to get fake carbon fiber looks? I'm not talking about the decals, but actual plastic trim pieces? It feels like that. And the issue is everywhere, the center console fitment is gnarly, the trim is gnarly, etc.

Additionally, and not related to plastic, I've noticed a few things about this. It has Sync4, which on the surface is barely different from 3.4. I don't even notice that its snappier, in fact it's a little clunkier. I've had issues with USB playback that I don't have on my 3.4. It's a more pleasant screen experience, but that's about it. A huge annoyance was something I experienced yesterday. Now to be fair, this is only an STX, so I realize it doesn't have the fully electronic cluster like a plati would, but the stupid thing was telling me a passenger door was open. But the icon on the dash appears to only show the drivers side door open. And the message says "passenger door" but it doesn't tell you which one. So I tried several times to close the rear drivers side door, but the message wouldn't go away. So I had to walk around the vehicle checking every door (as it wasn't obvious physically, since all appeared closed). Finally, it turned out to be the passenger front door. How cheap and stupid, my parents 1987 Subaru GL-10 had an analog door display that showed exactly what door was open.

I've also noticed a few other things, this model doesn't have an engine cover, as others have noted in their '21 expy's and the engine in this is way ugly compared to ours. For some reason on this one, I can hear a clicking and swooshing sound every time I hit the brakes, sounds like the master cylinder. Kind of annoying. The truck bed, anyone know if it's a couple layers of AL? When I walk on the bed, it creates these popping noises. the only way I can explain it is if sand was stuck between two layers of the AL.

But on a good note, it doesn't have the wastegate rattle, even at cold startup! I will say, I wish I could afford to have a truck as a 3rd car right now, I do like having a truck around, but it's not practical as a daily driver with 2-3 car seats and still having room for groceries etc.

View attachment 41611

I wouldn't judge the new 21 F150's interior based on an STX work truck. My son has a 21 Lariat that has lots of options (tech package and stuff) and it's really nice. Way better than the outgoing model. It has soft touch materials everywhere where a base STX would not. He also as the larger Sync 4 screen, which is a nice and needed update. B&O Unleashed audio too. The 22 Expedition will be terrific with this update.