2023 Limited - Rattling Noise in Rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roybus14

Reaction score
Purchased new 2023 Limited (11 miles on it) on 11/07/23. Truck is very nice and a great upgrade to my 2004 XLT.

However, the last several days we and passengers have noticed a rattling noise coming from the back/rear.

Sat in the back while wife drove and it sounds like it’s either coming from the rear lift gate or the third row seats or something under the third row or undercarriage.

Some Ford truck owners have said it’s the panoramic roof and others have said it’s in the lift gate. Any ideas and is there a TSB out for this rattling?

Dropping of Thursday night at dealer.

jera0005

Reaction score
I have likely have the same noise coming from that same area in my 2019 Expedition Max. The odd rattle sound comes from just behind the second row by the garment hanger area in the headliner. It only rattles when the temp is less than 40 degrees and going over bumps. I can also recreate the sound by hitting my fist against that area of the headliner when it is less than 40 degrees. The sound is so odd, I thought it was from the undercarriage as well. However, I now know it is from the headliner. I'm temped to shoot some spray foam in there, but I'm sure I'd break something else.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have the advanced cargo floor, that can rattle. If you have a license plate frame, that can rattle as well.

OP
OP
R

roybus14

Reaction score
I have likely have the same noise coming from that same area in my 2019 Expedition Max. The odd rattle sound comes from just behind the second row by the garment hanger area in the headliner. It only rattles when the temp is less than 40 degrees and going over bumps. I can also recreate the sound by hitting my fist against that area of the headliner when it is less than 40 degrees. The sound is so odd, I thought it was from the undercarriage as well. However, I now know it is from the headliner. I'm temped to shoot some spray foam in there, but I'm sure I'd break something else.
Thanks! That’s an odd one with the temp thing. Have you gotten it fixed or just dealing with it?

OP
OP
R

roybus14

Reaction score
If you have the advanced cargo floor, that can rattle. If you have a license plate frame, that can rattle as well.
Thanks! License plate frame, easy-peasy, but if it’s the advanced cargo floor, what’s the fix??

Regards,

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Idk honestly, my expy amd current nav didn't have the features. I think the fixes I seen on here were to play with the tray or have ford replace it, but its been years since I seen a complaint on it

jera0005

Reaction score
Thanks! That’s an odd one with the temp thing. Have you gotten it fixed or just dealing with it?
No, I have not gotten it fixed. The headliner would probably have to be pulled down to find the rattle source. That's a big job and could cause a lot of other issues. I'm just dealing with it and hoping someone else on the forum has an easy solution.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 18had the cargo floor rattle. They ripped it all out and resealed it and its much better.
Sit back there on a rough road.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On mine the rattle was the tire jack in the back storage area, placed cardboard under it and expanded it until it was tight in the holder, quiet now

OP
OP
R

roybus14

Reaction score
Update..... So Wife and I went to dinner the other night with a group of friends. On the ride back I had her drive and got in the back (2nd row) so that I could hear the rattle. The rattle happened and I was able to put my ear to it.....

It's coming from the lift gate. Mainly where the lift gate is closed. I checked the hook that the lift gate attaches to when its closed and that is not loose. I did notice that for a $75k plus truck with bells and whistles that the lift gate material is cheaply made.

After arriving home I remember being on a MACH forum where an owner mentioned that they had lift gate/trunk problems and that their's was misaligned. I noticed that my lift gate on my 2023 Brand New Limited Stealth Edition is not flush when closed on both sides. So that may be causing the rattling issue.

I have an appointment at Ford Dealership on Monday 12/11 for them to investigate this and fix the rattle. I will update this thread with the outcome.... I'm only just 1000K miles in (purchased with 11 miles on it).....

Great truck except for the rattle and Ford should have made the lift gate of a higher quality....

Regards,