2024 Platinum First Thoughts and Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GregTu

Reaction score
6 weeks/ 1.500 miles.
Likes: Power, handling, comfort, a ridiculous number of electronic toys (features). Bluecruise seems intriguing if I can get comfortable with it over longer trips. Tows great (22' Wells Cargo toy hauler). It replaced a 2013 Armada, so a huge step up.

Problems: Upholstery on third row seat not properly installed (middle lower corner has a 3" flap exposed) and declared to be "normal" by local dealer. Has anyone else had a similar issue? The dealer claimed to have multiple vehicles with the same issue. Shouldn't make it right/normal.

Calibrating/setup of Pro Backup Assist is a nightmare. Error messages are useless (turn tighter). Instead of guidance to complete setup from the dealer they started clearing codes and realigning cameras. Neither helped. The setup process only asked for trailer length from tow ball to trailer bumper, and its width, before pulling forward and then turning. I filled out a sheet with several different dimensions before my first attempt, but the setup process does not ask for any of it. From what I've read, these issues are not unusual. Is this process different compared to the '22s and '23s?

There is no engine cover. All the mounting points are still there, but no cover. Probably just cosmetic, but a stupid cost cutting move. I was told this was also "normal". I wonder when this happened.

Last and least; the configuratble gauges above the steering wheel are not sticky. Switching boost for transmission temperature seems to be a great alternative when towing, but it has to be changed every time the vehicle is started.

Full disclosure, I took the truck to a local (close) dealer, not the one where we bought the vehicle. Probably need to make the 45 minute trip and let them take a shot.

Thanks for comments/feedback.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you are so far enjoying it. That upholstery should not be normal. Agreed that just because it has happened a lot doesn’t mean it is right. Those gauges should stay the same I don’t know why they would change. Sadly there is no engine cover due to supply shortages but lookup raptor engine cover install. It looks really good.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree on the gauges. I pull a trailer and seeing transmission temp is far more important than a totally worthless boost gauge.

BobCharlie

Reaction score
Could the gauges be tied to driver memory? Have you tried setting the gauges then holding the driver memory button 1/2/3? Hold it until it beeps a second time and press the lock button on the key fob too.

OP
OP
G

GregTu

Reaction score
Glad you are so far enjoying it. That upholstery should not be normal. Agreed that just because it has happened a lot doesn’t mean it is right. Those gauges should stay the same I don’t know why they would change. Sadly there is no engine cover due to supply shortages but lookup raptor engine cover install. It looks really good.
Thanks! I’ll check it out.

“Supply shortages”. I’m surprised Ford doesn’t blame it on the “chip shortage”, everyone else is. . Just poor supply chain management. It’s a piece of plastic. Oh well.

OP
OP
G

GregTu

Reaction score
Could the gauges be tied to driver memory? Have you tried setting the gauges then holding the driver memory button 1/2/3? Hold it until it beeps a second time and press the lock button on the key fob too.
Interesting. I’ll give it a try.

I think that it happened without locking or locking the vehicle, so I’d expect the settings would not have been recalled, but I can’t be certain.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. I’ll give it a try.

I think that it happened without locking or locking the vehicle, so I’d expect the settings would not have been recalled, but I can’t be certain.
I believe I read on here the gauges changing is (or was) a known software glitch on the fully digital driver's display as others saw it too. It doesn't do that on mine which is the older analog and digital display. If you haven't searched you might want to try that.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
6 weeks/ 1.500 miles.
Likes: Power, handling, comfort, a ridiculous number of electronic toys (features). Bluecruise seems intriguing if I can get comfortable with it over longer trips. Tows great (22' Wells Cargo toy hauler). It replaced a 2013 Armada, so a huge step up.

Problems: Upholstery on third row seat not properly installed (middle lower corner has a 3" flap exposed) and declared to be "normal" by local dealer. Has anyone else had a similar issue? The dealer claimed to have multiple vehicles with the same issue. Shouldn't make it right/normal.

Calibrating/setup of Pro Backup Assist is a nightmare. Error messages are useless (turn tighter). Instead of guidance to complete setup from the dealer they started clearing codes and realigning cameras. Neither helped. The setup process only asked for trailer length from tow ball to trailer bumper, and its width, before pulling forward and then turning. I filled out a sheet with several different dimensions before my first attempt, but the setup process does not ask for any of it. From what I've read, these issues are not unusual. Is this process different compared to the '22s and '23s?

There is no engine cover. All the mounting points are still there, but no cover. Probably just cosmetic, but a stupid cost cutting move. I was told this was also "normal". I wonder when this happened.

Last and least; the configuratble gauges above the steering wheel are not sticky. Switching boost for transmission temperature seems to be a great alternative when towing, but it has to be changed every time the vehicle is started.

Full disclosure, I took the truck to a local (close) dealer, not the one where we bought the vehicle. Probably need to make the 45 minute trip and let them take a shot.

Thanks for comments/feedback.
Once you get through the pro backup setup/config it is marginally useful once in a while. I would not fret too much. I drove around a big parking lot for an hour or so to get mine ('23 Limited) calibrated, it was not an enjoyable experience.

I put the Raptor cover on, it works fine for the SPP engine.

And I found the gauges randomly reset too. Have not yet figured out how to keep them set the way I want them.

Any dealer should be able to address your issues. Have a discussion with your local maint. manager, let him know if he fixes the issues you will use his shop and not go to the one you purchased at. They get paid to do maintenance and should be interested in your business.

John

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My friend took delivery of his 2023 Expedition. When he tried starting it to leave the dealer, nothing happened. He popped the hood open and found that there was no engine installed. He went back into the dealer lobby to inquire why there was no engine and they said it was normal for some expeditions to not have an engine, even though the engine mount threads are present in the bay. He then had a towing company bring it to his house and plans on ordering the engine soon.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My friend took delivery of his 2023 Expedition. When he tried starting it to leave the dealer, nothing happened. He popped the hood open and found that there was no engine installed. He went back into the dealer lobby to inquire why there was no engine and they said it was normal for some expeditions to not have an engine, even though the engine mount threads are present in the bay. He then had a towing company bring it to his house and plans on ordering the engine soon.

And I’ll bet it will be on national backorder......