-25c and the Expy's not feeling great

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gigantapithic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Takes forever to warm up (if ever), heater never feels very warm, due for an oil change and thinking about going synthetic as I'm parking outside this winter. Probably isn't the issue, but I'll start there.

Brands and weight suggestions?

Also might as well ask what I should use in the summer when I start pulling a 7,000 lbs travel trailer.

Thanks!

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could have a stuck thermostat keeping the truck from warming up. Not really sure what year your truck is, but I run 5w-30 in the winter. Just stick with what is recommended for the vehicle. Royal purple is about as good as it gets. That stuff is priced like liquid gold, so I run Mobil conventional instead.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Maybe a stuck thermostat as FordandPolaris said or fan clutch is not releasing as it should but that is quite cold!!

Since you live in Calgary and the temps are likely consistently cold you could try to remove grill and cover half the radiator with cardboard during the winter so it gets up to operating temps quicker.

Definitely run as light a weight oil as recommended in your owners manual for cold weather climates.

Last edited:

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run what Ford says but I'm down here in wonderful (not) Fl. It doesn't get cold here

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

gigantapithic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks,

It's an 05 Eddie Bauer. I'd be surprised if a thermostat was stuck, given the extensive amount of work done a few short months after buying the vehicle.

New short block, new plugs, new fuel injectors, new 02 sensor, new starter motor, 2 new cat converters and pipe, I just replaced the air filter (is there two by the way, one in the giant cylindrical cone part?).... And new brakes and tires, but those wouldn't change the temperature :)

So no one suggests a synthetic. Intersting.

wadesdad

Reaction score
Switch out the thermostat. Your symptoms and mileage loss suggests it. It should take almost no time at all to do it. If the engine is cold and doesn't come up to operating temperature normally, it is going to run rich- like a choke on old school engines.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run Motor craft semi-synthetic. But your issue isn't the oil. Did you do the short block swap or did a mechanic? If a mechanic did it and there's no thermostat on your receipt then I can pretty much guarantee they didn't replace it. And if they did there's a chance it's just a bad piece.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

OP
OP
G

gigantapithic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Switch out the thermostat. Your symptoms and mileage loss suggests it. It should take almost no time at all to do it. If the engine is cold and doesn't come up to operating temperature normally, it is going to run rich- like a choke on old school engines.

Brilliant! The exhaust has been seeming a little strong smelling of late and I did wonder if something was up. Odd that the thermo could do all that (if it's the case).

I run Motor craft semi-synthetic. But your issue isn't the oil. Did you do the short block swap or did a mechanic? If a mechanic did it and there's no thermostat on your receipt then I can pretty much guarantee they didn't replace it. And if they did there's a chance it's just a bad piece.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Changed the oil on the weekend, but it's back around -5 to +5 so even if it was the issue (which we know it isn't), I wouldn't have seen any improvement.
Short block was done by the Ford Dealer. Pretty sure they didn't swap out the Thermostat (I'll check). I'll look into tonight - thanks for the replies.

Going to try synthetic on my next oil change. Had a few liters of regular oil left to use up. Should be March by then and I'll be looking at doing some towing come May, so maybe having the synthetic for the hard work will be a good idea.

edit: checked invoice, thermostat wasn't replaced.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik