3 Subs on a 2 channel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kickapebble

Reaction score
Hello; I am in the process of updating my audio. I have purchased a 1200W amp for my subs, as well as 2 12" 1200w subs, (300W nominal) I have a left over 10" type S alpine. The 12s are JBL. I was onriginally going to make a box to go agianst the middle row, facing the real, but was toying the ithe idea on placing them as 45 degrees in the corners so that they face the center, over the third row. I would like to use the 10 in the center if the 2 channel will power it. I was thinking the standanrd "-" and "+" wiring, with maybe the center 10" bridged. Any ideas if this will work?
Thanks to all.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it might but its about 100% not recommended to mix subs and different size subs. 1 for bad noise and 2 you can never get it to wire correctly. i mean you can but its not pretty. and with 3 subs the ohms will be so wierd that you dont know what your running at. it can be 1.5 3.5... not to many amps can runn on the inbetweens. so just use the 2 12s. and sell that 10. or you can get another amp and run the 10 off that. that will work.

OP
OP
K

kickapebble

Reaction score
Not a prob with the individual sub for the 10". Can I just spice to new AV jacks on the sub output of my Stereo, or should I just call it good with the two subs... my ***** is feeling a little small at the moment.

OP
OP
K

kickapebble

Reaction score
Now that i am thinking about it, what are the "out" AV jacks on the sub for?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do you mean amp? the out rca jacks? thats to wire up 2 amps together. what amp do you have? but anyways the rca outs are to lets say you want to power a big sub! 18 or what ever. and it needs 3000 watts and you have 2 1500 watts. instead of running 2 rcas or spicing the rcas you can just add a little rca inbetween the amps. out into in. then run the amps into the sub. one amp per coil on the sub. sub woofers are one the most confusing things to possibley wire up in a car. wiring an engine is almost a little easier. go here. http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp
not just that web page but the12volt.com. it has great stuff on there to help you understand wiring up anything to do with cars and the 12 volt system. thats where it helped me determine what subs and amp i needed by the ohm rating for them.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Aren't subwoofer outputs on head units mono anyway?

Bridge your amp to run the 12s and then pick up a smaller amp to run the 10. That way you can balance the output levels so that it will sound better. If they are all on the same amp the 10 could be 'over pronounced' and make the overall sound muddy.

OP
OP
K

kickapebble

Reaction score
you said "bridge", so should I bridge the 2 channel, and put the two 12's in parallel, or is it better to give each one a channel?
Also, if I have a 1200w and 600w amps, and wire them in a manner that the outputs are tied together before hitting the sub, does this effectivly create a 1800w output? I know electricity, AC anyway, and having two sources creates the potential for both combined... i.e. 2 20A services create a 40A service as long as a 40A limiting device (circuit breaker) is between the line, after the 20 services, and the load.
Sorry if this is confusing, but if you know electrical , I'm sure it makes sense.

Last edited: