300HP 3v vs 310hp 3v vs 320hp 3v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im wondering what the differences are between these engines. Im assuming that its mostly tuning from the factory with the 320HP having a bigger intake snorkel as well. Anyone here know the differences? Would be nice to be able to factory setup a 300 to 320.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would look into a tuner if you are trying to gain that much extra hp out of the current engine. Its a bit spendy, but anyone I have talked to has said that they are worth the money.

Besides, torque is what anyone should be looking for more of with these vehicles.

I don't know anything about the 3v motors, but I do know that between 98-99 the hp and tq went up on the 5.4 2v, and to achieve like an extra 20-30 in each category required completely different cylinder heads (PI heads vs non-PI heads).

Last edited:

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 07 rated at 300 hp. I believe the 310hp 3V have electric fans whereas mine has the old fashioned belt driven fans.

I noticed that at the Auto Show last year. The '13 Expy there had all kinds of room between the radiator and block and mine is filled with a fan and clutch.

Can any newer Gen III owners verify this?

Not sure about the step from 310 to 320 hp though. I thought the 5.4 was only rated at 310.

sk8ordie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gary, that would be good to know... if someone with a '13 expy can confirm i can start lookin through junkyards...lol

fordandpolaris, i have been lookin at tuners and will get one someday, but i think it would be cool if you could couple those mods WITH a tuner. that would be nice and stay somewhat factory.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Electric fans are a common one to do anyways. I don't know of anyone that has done them on a 2nd gen and above (though it certainly can be done), but lots of 1st gen guys have done it. Frees up a considerable amount of power actually. Maybe they offer a kit for the newer expy's aftermarket?