3rd brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edmund K

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I decided to go your route and VHT the tails and 3rd brake light. This is 3 coats VHT (wish I stopped at 2 coats but oh well), and 6 coats of clear and polished with Meguires. The LED's shine through nice and bright, even in direct sunlight. Just need to purchase some LED bulbs for the high mount, although you can still see them ok.

Also did 2 coats on the Fogs to tone them down a bit so they blend in better with the heads & grille.

Hey Jason, are those the Anzo tailights under that smoked tint? I just put a pair of Anzo's on my Expy, and they seem to need a little "smoke" or something to tone down the clear plastic housing. Thanks for posting your pics, they look great!

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Jason, are those the Anzo tailights under that smoked tint? I just put a pair of Anzo's on my Expy, and they seem to need a little "smoke" or something to tone down the clear plastic housing. Thanks for posting your pics, they look great!
I'm not sure if they are specifically Anzo brand, but they look exactly the same. Fortunately the LED lights are so bright that you still get a good bright glow after the VHT application.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered for an 03-06 model Expedition, I'm almost positive they have the same 3rd brake light as the 07+. If I decide to do the tint, I think I'll probably do something like Rvinyl.com - Tint & Auto Accessories so that it can be removed if I need to go back to stock.

I was thinking the same thing about the third housings. I also believe that the 03-06 model is the same. Should be fine. Those things are all over the place on eBay.

That being said, I just did LED bulbs in mine since I'm not satisfied with the appearance of any of the aftermarket lighting for our trucks.

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing about the third housings. I also believe that the 03-06 model is the same. Should be fine. Those things are all over the place on eBay.

That being said, I just did LED bulbs in mine since I'm not satisfied with the appearance of any of the aftermarket lighting for our trucks.
I finally gave up on getting this. It was backordered forever and finally they just canceled my order and returned my money, saying the part was no longer available. So I VHT's my factory light and threw some super bright leds in there.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tinted my 3rd brakelight a couple of years ago. I used 3 coats of tint and 3 coats of clear over it and polished it. I just noticed that the clear is starting to chip off the top edge. I need to clean it up.
picture.jpg
picture.jpg

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just in case anyone was still wondering, I took my truck in for the 100k servicing on Monday and they had a 03 Expy in the shop. I took a look and to me it looks like the 3rd brake is pretty damn identical to the 3rd gen light. So... I'd say any of the LED replacements for the 2nd gen should fit ours... they go pretty reasonable on eBay.

Click here for eBay link

OP
OP
RockyF150

RockyF150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good information. If someone with a 3rd gen lived close to a 2nd gen owner that could do a swap just to see. It'd be interesting to know.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good information. If someone with a 3rd gen lived close to a 2nd gen owner that could do a swap just to see. It'd be interesting to know.

I'll see what I can do. I'm almost 100% positive that it'll bolt right in but if I get the opportunity, I'll report back.

EDIT:

I just checked the Ford parts database... it appears that it is the same item number for an 07 that it is for an 05 so... I'd say it's all good.

EDIT EDIT:

Just checked again from 03 to 12 and it appears they are the same through-out.

Last edited:

Edmund K

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered the LED version made by Spyder from Autoplicity.com, and hopefully should get it soon. It's listed as being for 03-06 so I'll let you know in pics and words how it fits on my 08 when it gets here.

Edmund K

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered the LED version made by Spyder from Autoplicity.com, and hopefully should get it soon. It's listed as being for 03-06 so I'll let you know in pics and words how it fits on my 08 when it gets here.

Well my order through Autoplicity was cancelled today because the co. said they couldn't fulfill my order within the next month(!) so it seems Spyder must not be making these anymore. Dang! I'm going to see what I can find at Amazon.com