3rd row seat install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found this thread from someone on here who did the same project on the same 2014 year Expedition. I read through it and it is a fairly complicated process that involves adding wires to the main wiring harness (which runs the length of the vehicle) along with pins to the connectors and the necessary relays (relays the easy part). You would of course also need to obtain the switch assembly that fits into the passenger side rear trim panel. The person that successfully performed this surgery, used a main harness from a doner vehicle, placing it side by side to his to see what was missing and then moved those wires and connectors over to his harness.

***EDIT*** He ended up having issues with the ECU resetting and not recognizing the 3rd row. Rather than continue with the dealer and Ford, he installed a key switch adjacent to the 3rd row seat switches that would control power to the seat switches.

Before I read this, I was thinking that it might have been as simple as plugging in a portion of the harness that was not installed in vehicles with manual or no third row seat. Based on information in the linked thread, that is not possible. Vehicles with electric 3rd row seats have a different main wiring harness.

If you have the skills and time to do the project, the process is outlined in the linked thread, if not, then in my mind, the best route would be to find a set of manual 3rd row seats, possibly from the parts yard search site I linked earlier.

Another alternative is to use the factory switches and install your own wiring, relays and lockout device.

Last edited:

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know what year of expedition I need to pull third row seats from. I have 2014 that never had 3rd row seats installed. I found a 2003 Lincoln navigator at my local scrap yard but I don't know if that will work.

Grey Angel. I am in Florida and am fixing to do the reverse. I have Stone Interior and manual 3rd row seats. I am looking for parts to do the delete. I may be interested in the tray that goes forward of the tool compartment if your has the part number:​

Ford 7L1Z-78115A00-AA​

However being that you have an EL version this may not be same. When you remove it let me know what part number is on it. Also a picture of the before condition of your delete model would be appreciated. The lid might be useful to me as well.

OP
OP
G

GreyAngel123

Reaction score
@JamaicaJoe Part number is 7L14-78111D08-A. The box uses the 4 front bolt holes that the seats slid into as mounting brackets. Super easy swap. I was able to use 3rd row seats out of the 2003 Lincoln Navigator that I mentioned earlier, and the seats were manual.

16SSVEL

Reaction score
@JamaicaJoe Part number is 7L14-78111D08-A. The box uses the 4 front bolt holes that the seats slid into as mounting brackets. Super easy swap. I was able to use 3rd row seats out of the 2003 Lincoln Navigator that I mentioned earlier, and the seats were manual.
I know this is an old thread, with the older third row seats did you have to create a custom mounting bracket? Or did the factory mounting holes line up? i just bought a 2016 Expy SSV EL

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire