3rd Gen Ext Warranty Expiring this Year, What to Look For?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Im139

Reaction score
My 2013 Exp Limited EL is almost at 60K and my extended warranty expires sometime this year when I hit 70K. Everything has been fine until most recently I had some cold start issues and the auto running boards have been problematic for the last two years. Some minor paint peel on the back, same spots as everyone else but still trying to get Ford to do something with that, not holding my breathe. Ext warranty covered the running boards and starting issues so I'm just curious if there are any items I need to look out for just before my warranty expires. Anything I need to help along to failure to get covered? I'm still pissed at the dealer that told me to take a hike on my paint bubbling when I was out of warranty by 300 miles. It was painful buying the extended warranty from them but they wouldn't cover my running board issue either so I bought it knowing something else would come up eventually and it eventually did. I'm going to milk that warranty for everything I can.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
My 2013 Exp Limited EL is almost at 60K and my extended warranty expires sometime this year when I hit 70K. Everything has been fine until most recently I had some cold start issues and the auto running boards have been problematic for the last two years. Some minor paint peel on the back, same spots as everyone else but still trying to get Ford to do something with that, not holding my breathe. Ext warranty covered the running boards and starting issues so I'm just curious if there are any items I need to look out for just before my warranty expires. Anything I need to help along to failure to get covered? I'm still pissed at the dealer that told me to take a hike on my paint bubbling when I was out of warranty by 300 miles. It was painful buying the extended warranty from them but they wouldn't cover my running board issue either so I bought it knowing something else would come up eventually and it eventually did. I'm going to milk that warranty for everything I can.
Exhaust manifolds and studs! Its a nightmare job so if you can get it done free then do it.

I'd also listen closely to the timing chain/gear/ phasers. Another common failure and expensive to repair

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of the items mentioned can be helped along. Most modular V8s will never even see timing chain or phaser failure especially if you do your maintenance. My exhaust manifold are original and I’m in WNY, still no leaks. Just keep taking care of the truck as best you can.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look for signs of leaks like coolant stains or coolant in plug wells,, fluids below levels they were filled to, whistles from belts, ticking motor, clacking sounds from front or rear in certain settings of AC controls.... the usual.

You probably dont have these issues, but have warranty fix em if you do.

Oh and if you have coils and springs, check the fine print to see if those are covered. Ditto on control arms etc, anything sith a bush or balljoint.

Most of them are probably OK, but your shocks might be trashed by now....and your rear sway bar links almost surely are