Struts vs Shock Absorbers - Warranty definitions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrumps89

Reaction score
I'm having issues getting the rear struts replaced under the "Maximum Plan" extended warranty on my 2015 EL XLT.

My Expedition started bouncing all over the place sending the backseat riders flying into the headliner. There was no visible damage. When I discovered the suspension issue I had initially thought I would just replace them and move on. I decided to call the warranty company and discuss the issue. They stated struts are covered but shocks are not. I provided the part number for the strut assembly I had intended on buying (sold by AutoZone - LS34-85832B) and they stated it is a covered part however I would need to have the damage confirmed by the dealership to validate the claim. I took the vehicle to the dealership and they state "Replace both rear struts" so I figured I was good to go. I paid $170 for the diagnosis and they say the warranty company is denying my claim due to the part being listed as a shock absorber. The warranty company states they base their coverage on the manufacturers description.

All aftermarket manufacturers describe the rear suspension as strut assemblies. The problem is the shock portion of the strut assembly is sold individually by Ford and listed as a shock absorber on the FordParts/Motorcraft website. Once all of the ford parts are assembled you have a strut however each part including the individual bolts are listed as shock absorbers on the Ford website. This is intentional to avoid paying claims IMO.

One of the warranty reps argued the strut is a shock and wanted to tell me how he's been a mechanic for 30 years, Gold Star, Blah blah and stated the aftermarket companies are all wrong and the parts I confirmed initially wouldn't fit my vehicle because the vehicle doesn't accept a strut.

Someone is getting a kick back from the warranty company for the service contracts they sell excluding the strut assemblies due to their false descriptions. I'm guessing I will have to go the arbitration route to get my warranty claim paid as the contract waives my right to litigation. All options seem futile due to the cost of the repairs vs fighting. Ill fight anyway - someone has to.

Is it common practice to replace just the shock portion of the strut or the whole assembly?
Has anyone had success getting Ford or the Warranty Co to admit their description of the part is false?

Thanks!

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it common practice to replace just the shock portion of the strut or the whole assembly?
Has anyone had success getting Ford or the Warranty Co to admit their description of the part is false?
Yes many members have got them to pay.
If you can drive around with it removed it is a SHOCK
If you can't move the vehicle with it removed, it is a STRUT
It is a strut and they will replace it and have done this many times before. There are many threads on this subject in this forum.
Stick to your guns, and if they say different, ask them to remove your shock and try to drive it around.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is why I do my own work and don't waste time with 3rd party warranties. Dealerships and even home title companies are pushing extended car/ home warranties like drug dealers. They get offended when I say no, then offer them to me at half cost, still a hard no.