4.6 to 5.4 swap. Logical??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my 4.6 with the leaky head gasket, 260k, leaks oil etc. is staring to worry me. I feel it won't be long and a rebuild or replacement will be necessary. I can pull the 4.6 and rebuild myself to save some $$ but I recently found a rolled 99 with a remanned 5.4 with 12k on it. He has paperwork. He wants $1500 for the whole truck. Rolled it slowly. So pretty much everything is good but the body. I may be able to talk him down a bit. My 4.6 struggles towing my boat so I feel a 5.4 would be great. But how much work would the swap be? With having the whole other truck make it somewhat doable?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having a donor truck would make it much easier.

I'm no expert but I'd imagine you'd need the PCM, wire harness, engine, transmission.... maybe whatever controls that PATS?

For $1500 that gets you a "new" motor, sounds like a deal. Once you've got the swap done, you could scrap the rolled truck, sell the 4.6 and transmission and be out very little money overall.

OP
OP
D

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm hoping the trans I have will be able to be used. It's a reman with less that 50k on it.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That would be a good idea just get all the usable parts from the donor truck if you have storage space. And if you are planning to keep your current truck. Otherwise it would be better if you shop around for a newer model expy -one with low mileage.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe u will need a diff trans...there are a few threads on this cuz its asked from time to time...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt