4.6L P0301 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RussW

Reaction score
My 98 Expedition with a 4.6L just stated running rough. The code is P0301 and the suggested remedy is to replace the COP assembly. My Expedition does not have COP, it has 2 coils, one for each bank. After stopping at the store, the truck started up and has run fine.

Does anyone have any input on a non-cop engine? I searched the forums but couldn't locate anything that pertained to this exact issue.

Thanks,
Russ

Last edited:

BigJuicy02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have a 4.6 non COP. How many miles? When was the last tune up? Usually plugs and wires will fix this unless there is a deeper issue.

OP
OP
RussW

RussW

Reaction score
My Expedition has 130,000 miles on it. I am curious if it is normal for a coil pack to only give out on one cylinder.

I notice your profile says Ft. Drum NY. I have a house about 25 miles from there. Don't get there too often, but when I do I really enjoy it.

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How to Check Coil Packs With a Voltage Meter | eHow.com
Here's a handy write up on how to check coil packs. You can also try spraying them with a little water from a squirt bottle, wires as well, and if it starts to skip you know where the issue is.
It could go bad on just one cylinder but its got to be rare. Any I've seen the whole bank tends to start going at once.
I'd probably start with new plugs and wires if its been a while since you changed them. Try to avoid the cheap wire sets. Autozone sells Bosch for the 4.6 which is a pretty good set. I forget what I paid for them but I think it was only like 10 bucks more than they're dura last brand. Most people recommended motorcraft or autolite plugs but its all a matter of preference. Autolite makes motorcraft anyhow but it's not nessacarily the same spec.

BigJuicy02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree that a coil could fail one cylinder only but I've never actually seen that happen. I'm at 130,000 as well and still on the original coils. Still running strong. Spraying it with water usually works. I went with motorcraft wires and auto lite plugs. No issues so far. At 130k I would recommend replacing the anyway and then looking further if you still have a misfire.

I'm actually from Florida, I see you are too. Just stationed up here waiting for the weather to get warm so I can start thinking with the expy.

OP
OP
RussW

RussW

Reaction score
I'm actually from Florida, I see you are too. Just stationed up here waiting for the weather to get warm so I can start thinking with the expy.

I was born and raised on the St. Lawrence River. I worked on the construction of Tank Range 44 and the widening of all the roads to 50' at Ft. Drum. I took a 3 month vacation in 2003 and went to Florida. Bought a house between Tampa and Ocala. I get there a few times a year. Right now I am in Maryland for an 8 year contract and it is nothing like the 1000 Islands or the Nature Coast.

I will change out the # 1 wire, then plug and see if it makes a difference, then I will change the rest and change thecoil packs as well.

Thanks for your service to our country!

OP
OP
RussW

RussW

Reaction score
Well, I just got back from the ice roads of Yellowknife and changed the coil pack. The check engine light is out now and doesnt come back on but the truck is running rough. When I get to a hill or slight grade I have to shut off the overdrive to keep the rpm's up. The truck is bucking on the inclines and kicking in and out of overdrive and hardly pulls the hills unless I down shift. It still runs like crap in the lower gear but it gets me over the hills.

Fuel filter is less than a year old. I will replace the pluds and wires next.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

flyin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
watch for coolant leaks from the intake crossover. It could be getting in the plug hole.