#4 coil fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bks37seahawks

Reaction score
I just bought a 2002 expedition with 76000 miles on it and have put less than 100 miles on it and I get a error code of po 304 which was coil #4. I have tried searching the web for pictures or a video of where this coil is and can find nothing. I hope that someone here can share their wisdom with me and lead me down the road to fixing this. Thanks in advance

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As you look at the engine, it's the coil you cannot see, under the firewall. Pain. In. The. Arse to replace, In my opinion. The coil sits right atop the spark plug, under the fuel rail etc...all up in that mess.

I just paid $200 to replace the #3 coil on my truck. Part of that is $95/hr labor, and NINETY dollars for the coil. Couldn't do anything but pay it. Had to have the truck running.

B

bedrck46

check on youtube for videos
If your doing the work yourself and only are going to change the plug I would recommend that you also replace the boot which can be obtained at most parts stores.
If you do change the coil they normally come with the boot attached.

Last edited by a moderator:

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 2002 expedition with 76000 miles on it and have put less than 100 miles on it and I get a error code of po 304 which was coil #4.

As you look at the engine, it's the coil you cannot see, under the firewall. Pain. In. The. Arse to replace...

I found that spark plug/COP replacement looked like a harder job than it was. Cylinder #4 is one of the more difficult to access (#8 is the other) but it's not impossible to service. I recommend getting a cheap code reader and a complete replacement set of COP's. Read reviews regarding coil performance and make your own call on which ones to buy. At 100k miles you will have a regular interval spark plug change and I think it's a good idea to install new COPs with the job.It is worthwhile to learn how to properly remove/inspect/reinstall COPs yourself. There are many youtube videos on the procedure.

Cylinder #'s are:

4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5
Front of Expedition

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 2002 Expedition... coil #4. I have tried searching the web for pictures or a video of where this coil is and can find nothing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j8P6VjO9Os

This video will give you a good idea what is involved in just about real time. The guy happens to be replacing COP#4.

Remember to include as much information (which engine are we talking about?) as possible when posting a question in the future.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik