4 wheel drive buttons stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topgun787

Reaction score
Help! The buttons around the shift mode knob won’t engage (stays in 2h). I think a crumb is under the 4A button but I’ve not figured out how to take the box out. I pulled up the console but was only able to remove the bottom piece with the computer module. How do I take the whole box out? Deal said they’d replace it for $500 but I don’t need that. Similar to getting crumbs under a keyboard except I can’t figure out how to get it out. I’ve yet to find a name for the module box to get a cleaner search.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You sure you didn't spill a soft drink there? If it is a crumb or similar, maybe try a powerful shop vac paired with a can of compressed air situated at opposite edges of the push button(s).

I once freed up some inoperative console switches on my sister's Escape (that were gummed up from spilled soft drinks) using WD-40 to dissolve the gunk, electric contact cleaner to flush it away, and a can of compressed air to facilitate evaporation of the contact cleaner.

Those cans of compressed air come in real handy for the times when you can't access your air compressor. Works for great clearing debris out of irrigation drip lines too.

OP
OP
T

Topgun787

Reaction score
Thanks, I’ll try the air. There isn’t much clearance. I’m sure it’s not soda since we don’t drink it. When I pull the computer module off the bottom, I could feel 3/4 buttons (small nub) depress through the small O underneath, except the 4A button. It feels like something is blocking it.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you use the Drive Mode rotary switch to select a 4A mode? Looks like Sport, Grass/Gravel/Snow, Mud/Ruts and Sand default to 4A. It will revert to 2H upon shutdown, though.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe I’m old school but give it a firm press to crush the crumb. There isn’t much clearance for anything large to get stuck. Then the above air and vac is great solution

OP
OP
T

Topgun787

Reaction score
Yeah, the rotary switch works just fine. There’s no give to the button, like it’s stuck, but not engaged. Is there anyway to pull the whole module out? I’ve only found how to get the bottom off by pulling the console off.