Engine breaking and Drive mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bzav

Reaction score
23 Limited, Stealth Ltd, HD Tow
1) I am surprised how little engine breaking there is when I downshift manually - there is virtually none. As far as I can tell the only way to get any significant engine breaking is to engage Hill Descent control, whcih maxes out at 20 mph or shift into Tow mode. Thoughts?
2) Is there anyway to keep the drive mode in another mode other than standard after turning off and starting again? If I am towning, I want it to start in tow mode and not have to reset the mode every time.
3) is there any way to change the order of the drive modes?

ElectrifyCLT

Reaction score
With the 10spd transmission going down a gear is essentially like going down one-half gear in a "normal" 5 or 6 speed auto. How many gears are you downshifting when you say you get virtually no engine braking?

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. It is a 3.5L engine so engine braking is minimal. Engine braking is dependent on compression ratio, displacement, and engine speed. A 400 hp turbo spark ignition engine will have less engine braking than a 400 hp naturally aspirated spark ignition engine at similar rpm’s.
2. 2wd or 4wd? A couple years ago, I posted about a method for 2wd’s that works most of the time for drive mode memory.
3. Not that I’m aware of.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. Tow haul mode will increase engine braking. Other modes may as well, but tow haul is specifically designed to.
2. Nope - sorry. Frustrating, isn't it? Interestingly, even though it forces you back to Normal, it won't reset the drive system to the 2A mode that is associated with Normal defaults.
3. (tongue in cheek): You can change the order of the Modes if you rotate the knob clockwise vs counter-clockwise! ;)

OP
OP
B

bzav

Reaction score
With the 10spd transmission going down a gear is essentially like going down one-half gear in a "normal" 5 or 6 speed auto. How many gears are you downshifting when you say you get virtually no engine braking?
going down my residential street at 5-6% grade - 2nd gear doesn't keep it below 30 mph. going down 5-6% grade on highway 6th gear doesn't keep it at 60 mph

Book2

Reaction score
I am using Sports mode at downhill ('18 Limited with 4WD). It gives me appropriate engine brake. I am not towing.

OP
OP
B

bzav

Reaction score
so you get downhill braking in sport mode but not normal mode?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire