4 wheel drive switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok truck is a 2000 expedition with 5.4 and it is all wheel drive all the time i was woundering if i can get a 2wh 4awd 4h 4l switch and replace the switch if it would work or not and if so what all has to been done to make it work if anybody has done it i am sure it would help a few mile per gallon if the front diff wasnt turning all the time

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The front diff, axle, and driveshaft will turn all the time no matter what. Until recently ford disconnected the front wheel drive at the transfer case.

I've never done it and don't think it'll work but if you want find yourself a switch like that and just slap it in. It works on resistance instead of closed and open circuits so no extra wiring is needed, just a matter of the PCM knowing the difference. I wouldn't say it wouldn't if there are different PCMs.

Elroy303030

Reaction score
If you find a switch that has 2wd and auto4,4hi, 4low
and it works let me know. I have the same truck and would like to do the same. If that dont work, it is said you can cut the
brown wire by the transfer case and put a switch and it should work. I havent tried it yet, but I read on here that it turns off the auto part.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would love to know about this as well. I love the option of putting it in to AWD but not being able to take it out of that just seems kind of stupid

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if you can add the option if you didn't have A4WD to begin with. A4WD requires a secoundary clutch in the transfer case, not sure if it would come with it if the truck wasn't outfitted with A4wd.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I appreciate the elimination of automatic 4WD as the default setting. All Wheel Drive (AWD)? Which truck has this?

I run my '07 in 2H 99% of the time. 4A (4-Auto) in bad rain and regular snow. 4H rarely (pulling my boat out of a greasy ramp, or my camper out of a muddy campsite) and 4L just a couple times every few months to make sure it still works!

-- Chuck

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never noticed any pattern in what models have it which don't. Just kinda have it or you don't I think. I'm in 2H most of the time, 4HI when towing a trailer out of the water or towing my snomobile trailer through deep snow. And offroading.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker