steering wheel switch not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ESG406

Reaction score
The right side steering wheel switch on my wife's 2015 Platinum EL has stopped working. The left side Cruise Control switch continues to work correctly. The right side switch controls navigating from Phone, Entertainment & Navigation (compass direction display-not Sync navigation) plus phone audio controls. I have checked SWCM fuse #23, which is ok. All fuses test good. I do not believe the switch buttons are dirty-no children with sticky fingers and only 46,000 miles on the vehicle. All Sync/touchscreen controls work correctly.
Has anyone ever repaired this switch or resolved the problem by cleaning contacts with an electronic cleaner spray? Has anyone replaced the switch with good results? I have found a replacement switch, #7392 for $152.06 at J.C.Whitney. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ed

turtle019

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
Same issue has been discussed a couple times before

OP
OP
ESG406

ESG406

Reaction score
follow up. the steering wheel right side audio switch still unresponsive , backlights are lit ,arrow pointing rt in display shows as the only available navigation but it doesnt work. Bought a replacement switch but it doesn't work either. I checked switch pinouts and they are ok. Connectors c2999 & c218b ok. c2188, 218a,218c seem to be ok. Wondering if I should buy a new clockspring even tho pinouts show this clockspring testing ok. Any possibility problem is a corrupted SCCM? Will appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.
Ed

Last edited:
OP
OP
ESG406

ESG406

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am Carol, Ed’s wife and it is my 2015 Expedition we have been trying to fix. The right side steering wheel switch is still not working. We replaced it but the new one doesn’t work either. I can live without the audio controls but a few days ago the exterior buttons for the liftgate and liftglass stopped working. I really didn’t like the prospect of not being able to open the liftgate or liftglass with the exterior buttons. The liftgate did open with the key fob and the instrument panel button. This was perplexing. I found it odd that both the liftgate and liftglass buttons failed at the same time while all the related fuses tested good. I searched the internet for days and watched a lot of Youtube videos but nothing helped. Then this afternoon, a very short video buried in a Google search caught my eye. A delightful young fellow was talking about “another trick with a Ford” so I was drawn to watch. After unlocking the vehicle with the keyless entry keypad, pushing 5 opens the liftglass. See here https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SUkad-iDXv8

Of course I had to try that! I followed the procedure and then went back to try to open the liftglass. Another disappointment…didn’t work. While standing there and for no apparent reason, I reached down to the liftgate handle and pushed the button. It worked!! I was stunned! I closed the hatch and opened it again. Still worked! I ran into the house to tell Ed and ran back outside. The liftgate and the liftglass were now working and I am still in a state of amazement.

We had had the battery disconnected a few times while working on the steering wheel issue and I rarely lock the Expy. We live in a rural setting and I have not driven it to town for past two weeks so I had no reason or opportunity to lock/ unlock. Perhaps the exterior buttons went to a default lock status with the battery disconnect??? Wanted to share this info in case it might be useful for others.

Carol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire