400hp on Platinum only with 91 octane gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m getting conflicting information online. User manual states 87 octane is minimum required, but (like every other carmaker these days) they recommend 91 for “best overall engine performance”.

Seeing as how no one is going to actually take an Expedition on a dyno, is the 400hp achieved only in 91+ octane? I cannot seem to find a clear answer.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I’m getting conflicting information online. User manual states 87 octane is minimum required, but (like every other carmaker these days) they recommend 91 for “best overall engine performance”.

Seeing as how no one is going to actually take an Expedition on a dyno, is the 400hp achieved only in 91+ octane? I cannot seem to find a clear answer.

Need a Platinum and 93 octane at 5000rpm wouldn’t worry about hp numbers dude. It’s not going anywhere fast07AC6259-FC94-4345-ACA8-63CB0FBF084D.jpeg

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, no doubt. And there’s no way I’m spending the cash to fill her 28-gallon tank with 93 octane every time.

The nice thing with GM’s V8 in the Yukon Denali is it hauls with 420hp on 87 octane.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
LOL, typical of the ‘18 haters. Quick to spread misinformation.
Not misinformation. He is correct that premium is needed to reach 420. Just like the Expedition want more HP, gonna need higher octane fuel

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not misinformation. He is correct that premium is needed to reach 420. Just like the Expedition want more HP, gonna need higher octane fuel
I was agreeing with Scott about Gordon being wrong

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s an $80,000 vehicle..........$15 per tank is where you draw the line? You would hate where I live!

I just didn't realize that advertised HP numbers are all based on 91 octane gas, even though user manuals and "minimum" specs require 87. Lame marketing IMO.

That’s not really how I see it. You shouldn’t have to buy top of the line gasoline to get the advertised HP numbers, when the user manual says 87 (when it’s actually 91). Little truth in advertising would go a long way, such as “400hp (with 91 octane gas)”.

This isn’t some premium European sports sedan. It’s an American truck.