4WD issues back..... again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well just got in from driving in a snowstorm, put the expy in 4Auto, dash says 4x4 auto says it’s good, I go to accelerate and the rear slips out and spins no 4x4. Switch to 4x4 high and it comes up a succesful shift on the dash but same thing. Keep in mind I was just driving a chevy with bald tires in the same crap and it had no issue. My truck has new tires and slips out giving any throttle. 4LO I get low gearing but just 2WD. Getting really sick of this unreliable 4x4 that decides to take a day off half the time. Where I live it’s not ideal to have a system that quits all the time. Everyone says to pray nothing is wrong with the T-case because Ford withholds all parts so if their is any fault it needs an entire T-case replacement. Oh boy, these vehicles should all have floor shifters none of this shift on the fly electric Computer junk.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well just got in from driving in a snowstorm, put the expy in 4Auto, dash says 4x4 auto says it’s good, I go to accelerate and the rear slips out and spins no 4x4. Switch to 4x4 high and it comes up a succesful shift on the dash but same thing. Keep in mind I was just driving a chevy with bald tires in the same crap and it had no issue. My truck has new tires and slips out giving any throttle. 4LO I get low gearing but just 2WD. Getting really sick of this unreliable 4x4 that decides to take a day off half the time. Where I live it’s not ideal to have a system that quits all the time. Everyone says to pray nothing is wrong with the T-case because Ford withholds all parts so if their is any fault it needs an entire T-case replacement. Oh boy, these vehicles should all have floor shifters none of this shift on the fly electric Computer junk.
It sounds like the transfer case motor isn't engaging, check fuses, and the connector to the transfer case motor etc. See if it is throwing any codes.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the transfer case motor isn't engaging, check fuses, and the connector to the transfer case motor etc. See if it is throwing any codes.

I was having issues before where it wouldn’t come up on the dash it shifted, so I went over all the connections and now it tells me shifts on the dash so that’s as solved but it obviously isn’t shifting. Yes everyone says the transfer case motors suck on these it’s probably shot unfortunately. I’ll be checking fuses but I’m sure it wouldn’t come up as a successful shift on the dash if one were a bad fuse... *sigh*

Just kind of venting about it haha, after coming in from the rear kicking out and sliding every time I go to even gently accelerate.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was having issues before where it wouldn’t come up on the dash it shifted, so I went over all the connections and now it tells me shifts on the dash so that’s as solved but it obviously isn’t shifting. Yes everyone says the transfer case motors suck on these it’s probably shot unfortunately. I’ll be checking fuses but I’m sure it wouldn’t come up as a successful shift on the dash if one were a bad fuse... *sigh*

Just kind of venting about it haha, after coming in from the rear kicking out and sliding every time I go to even gently accelerate.
I hear you. That is one of the reason that I traded my 05. Even though everything was working, I hate the fact that reliability goes down as the age goes up. I did learn a long time ago that things work better when exercised regularly. So at least once a month I put it in Auto to work the shift motor.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear you. That is one of the reason that I traded my 05. Even though everything was working, I hate the fact that reliability goes down as the age goes up. I did learn a long time ago that things work better when exercised regularly. So at least once a month I put it in Auto to work the shift motor.

How fast is it supposed to shift when properly operating?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
This video is in the f150 but is the same setup used in the expedition. Unfortunately component locations may not be the same but hopefully it gets you rolling after you check the fuses bedrck recommended

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be checking fuses tonight I believe my problem is with the T-case motor not shifting, whether it be a fuse or that item. When I clicked my F-350 in 4HI today with the window down i hear a distinct click of the motor, the expy is dead silent. So vacuum probably isn’t the issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger