4WD issues back..... again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pondering whether I want to dive into this...... the expy sat and everything’s frozen shut after sleet all last night.
17C538CC-CF0D-4408-A27E-7613F9CFEBA2.jpeg

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it internal to the electric motor? Or internal to the T case that seems to be the issue?

This year for me has been dry but on dirt roads I still engage 4x4 for maintenance.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks the same way here in Massachusetts. I personally would still attack it but I'm also pretty well equipped for working out in the cold. Good luck!

Went out and...... well that hood ain’t opening, can’t even get through the ice on the windows with the scraper it’s so thick...
3BB29092-B853-4CCD-A2FA-B85194643A38.jpeg

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it open, woo, now going back out to brave the storm and check fuses

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I checked all recommended fuses and they all come back good. I’m thinking about purchasing the T-Case shift motor from ford and throwing it at it to see if it changes. Has anyone done this project? Another user a bit back just had the dealer put in a new transfer case who had similar symptoms. I see now BorgWarner sells a T-case overhaul kit.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went out and...... well that hood ain’t opening, can’t even get through the ice on the windows with the scraper it’s so thick...
View attachment 22827
I miss my garage. That's what I hate about parking outside. We are getting 3-5" of snow tomorrow so it looks like we might get a white Christmas.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I checked all recommended fuses and they all come back good. I’m thinking about purchasing the T-Case shift motor from ford and throwing it at it to see if it changes. Has anyone done this project? Another user a bit back just had the dealer put in a new transfer case who had similar symptoms and they said the clutch pack when bad and that the units can’t be rebuilt because parts are NLA. I’d rather buy a new Tranfer Case and have my mechanic do it than buy a junkyard one.
I had new bearings put in the transfer case of my 05. They had to do bearings and shims and had no problem getting parts. You might just let Ford diagnose it and then decide what to do.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had new bearings put in the transfer case of my 05. They had to do bearings and shims and had no problem getting parts. You might just let Ford diagnose it and then decide what to do.

Yea I’ll bring it to the stealer this week. Sounds like these 07-17 transfer cases and motors are pretty unreliable after reading lots of people putting entire tranfer cases in newer Expeditions.