4WD issues back..... again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was some dude on the 1st gen forum that simply threw in a manual shifter for the 4x4... could be a thought

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was some dude on the 1st gen forum that simply threw in a manual shifter for the 4x4... could be a thought

As much as i dislike these computer systems I’d like for it to be fixed right and be able to just turn the knob. The PCM controls the 4WD on ours unlike the older ones which had a separate module.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hubs with bearings are $170 a piece i think I’ll order those tonight along with a new valve to go along with the new solonoid from rock auto.

Last edited:

wrc7732

Reaction score
What about wheel speed sensors or their respective pickups on the hubs?? Could the PCM be getting bad or false readings and so it’s not applying pressure to the clutch in the transfer case to send power through to the front driveshaft??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about wheel speed sensors or their respective pickups on the hubs?? Could the PCM be getting bad or false readings and so it’s not applying pressure to the clutch in the transfer case to send power through to the front driveshaft??

When I had wheel speed sensors go bad on my exploder it usually triggered an ABS light.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I jacked it up this morning and found an issue but I don’t know if it’s the issue. Engine off the hubs should be engaged to the half shaft according to the troubleshooting guide. Engine on in 2HI they should be not engaged, my drivers side is staying engaged in all modes with the engine on meaning most likely a leaky seal in the actuator. So I know that is most likely a bad actualtor on that hub.

wrc7732

Reaction score
I jacked it up this morning and found an issue but I don’t know if it’s the issue. Engine off the hubs should be engaged to the half shaft according to the troubleshooting guide. Engine on in 2HI they should be not engaged, my drivers side is staying engaged in all modes with the engine on meaning most likely a leaky seal in the actuator. So I know that is most likely a bad actualtor on that hub.

Or you vacuum line to that side is bad. Sounds like when engine is on and in 2 hi it provides vacuum to the front hubs, and disengages them. If that one is engaged all the time, it’s most likely not getting good vacuum. I’d suggest testing/replacing that before a hub. Just my $.02

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Some info for you if you don't have it

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/...the-iwe-system-and-then-some.html#post7322441

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken this is the part ford charged me $300 to replace, funny because it’s the same part that’s always been there, nothings been replaced

301EFD18-7DE5-43B0-B877-D371CBBE9DCE.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BUSTED!!!! Bill says 4WD hub actuator and solonoid, so i hope theya t least replaced the hub actuator.
AFD6202A-0D3B-4EFE-AE2B-AADDFE9CA96B.png

Last edited: