4WD issues back..... again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called it on the first page, LOL. I said front hubs but the thought is the same.

Yes you did. The way it was acting how I’d get no lights sometimes and the symptoms made me think electrical Not vacuum.... but it was both lol, the electrical component that controls the entire vacuum system.

wrc7732

Reaction score
Awesome news man. Glad to see you got it worked out. Now time to take a drive back to the dealer to get some cash back

Ha. Congrats!

Good luck with the above. Certainly give them some serious crap about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Look what I found today. I did my front brakes, wheel bearings,IWE's and the solenoid I ordered just because. Weird part is my 4x4 still worked but my IWE's were grinding a little

20180216_201941.jpg

20180216_201929.jpg

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look what I found today. I did my front brakes, wheel bearings,IWE's and the solenoid I ordered just because. Weird part is my 4x4 still worked but my IWE's were grinding a little

View attachment 23830

View attachment 23831
Wow! If I remember correctly, it requires vacuum to keep it in 2wd, and without vacuum you have the hubs locked in and then you have to put it in AWD to lock in the transfer case.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! If I remember correctly, it requires vacuum to keep it in 2wd, and without vacuum you have the hubs locked in and then you have to put it in AWD to lock in the transfer case.

Kind of, the vacuum solonoid can fail in a multitude of ways. It is supposed to vent the vacuum to atmosphere when engine off and in 4A, 4H, 4L, effectively engaging the hubs. If the solonoid fails open it may be partially sending vacuum to the hubs causing them to not fully engage or semi engage and grind. It can also fail and always vent to atmosphere. On top of that If it’s shorted out and the computer can’t talk to it, the PCM may not even allow the T-Case to engage and send any power forward at all. This little sucker can cause a lot of headaches for what it is both through the vacuum system itself and even electrically!

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Right! I'm wondering if ive been driving around with the hubs locked and didn't notice. Maybe why my IWE's got loud?