4x4 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Jacob

Reaction score
New to the forum but looking for help. After 30plus years of broncos, expeditions are new to me. Here is the issue...1998 eddie, 140 on the ticker-three 4x4 settings at the dash switch. All wheel drive not working- dash light used to just blink, never engaged. Now no dash light, no clicking sound, no engagement. Reg.4x4 high and low work fine. You hear the in-cab clicking, both engage and work.

I did replaced the 4x4 motor at the transfer case.
With 2 out of three working, I don't think its the 2 vac switches behind battery, but maybe?? Would this be possible, I thought they either did or didn't work for all, or are there 3 separate functions at these switches? I went to the front diff, oiled and cleaned the vac. rod at the actuator. This cleaned up the high and low engagement, both now crisp at the switch, in and out-clicking noise heard in cab (used to be slow and take time).
The question is, could this be the dash switch as only the AWD function doesn't work or something else. Am I missing something or should I be looking for something else? I need the voice of experience on this, looking for help and actual working dirty hands knowledge......

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the ABS working? the A4WD uses magnetic clutches to spin up the front diff the abs senses wheel slip. does yours have the 2wd setting? yes then vacuum comes into play on the front diff too