5.0 twin turbo coyote??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10sne1

Reaction score
Why not build this? an upgrade in a 3/4 ton Expy towing machine! Could be the replacement to the 6.2?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t plow with it, intercoolers. It would get dismal fuel economy compared to the 6.2 and 7.3, heat dissipation wouldn’t be as good. I could go on.

If they made a 3/4 ton Expy the 6.2 and 7.3 are much better suited to the job. Big cast iron blocks with big bores. The 5.0 is in the same vehicle category as the EcoBoost...they aren’t made for sever duty.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd rather have a 7.3 swap with a supercharger and FMIC. Keep the 8 lug stuff, that would get very costly trying to make an 8 lug IRS that would work with the existing ABS/trac control, etc.

The 7.3 is easily doable, as it will bolt to the existing trans...not sure about mounts, but given the space between the rad and the front of the 5.4, I'd guess it would fit as it's designed to be used with the Modular setups.
I see by your sig that you have the ecoboost truck...no idea on those, I've just never messed around with, nor read the finer details, etc.

Yeah, the 5.0 is a great package for towing, but if you truly want 3/4 ton comparable stuff, may be better to start with an Excursion.

I plan to get a V10 Excursion this fall and over the winter do a 7.3 swap. I wanted to gt a diesel, but...damn, are those holding their value. I'd rather find a lower mileage gas truck with great body and interior to do the swap to. Throw a blower or even a pair of twins on it down the road...more power and torque than anything. Of course gas will be 4 dollars/gal in 6 months, so probably just wishful thinking at this point... :-/

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 7.3 doesn’t share anything with the modular engines, nor does the 6.2 Boss. They are big bore animals, modular engines all have small bores and narrow bore spacing.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not build this? an upgrade in a 3/4 ton Expy towing machine! Could be the replacement to the 6.2?
Because forced induction motors get hot. Modern computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modeling and metallurgy allows the engine designer to manage the additional heat. But, unless I'm mistaken, the 5.0 was not designed to deal with the extra heat and would, therefore, suffer the same longevity problems that plagued the forced induction motors of yesteryear...

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 7.3 doesn’t share anything with the modular engines, nor does the 6.2 Boss. They are big bore animals, modular engines all have small bores and narrow bore spacing.

I'm talking about trans bolt patterns, and possible mount locations. I DO know for sure the 7.3 has the same bell bolt pattern as any other modular engine. ;)

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford posted this today in response to comments on the new Raptor release on Instagram......This pretty much solidifies the Raptor R Rumor. Here comes your forced induction V8.

D2E79CCE-09CB-4116-BFD2-AD6FBA6E2F7B.jpeg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the low down at Ford is the standard Raptor we all know will have the 3.5 EcoBoost and the new Raptor R will have a V8. Likely the 5.2 Predator from the GT-500 which throws down 760 horsepower. But also recall Ford has acknowledged they are working on the 6.X project (a new pushrod based off the 7.3)....so this is a mystery

Last edited:

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it would be incredibly easy to put a forced induction 5.0 coyote in an Expy. Hennessey and similar groups could absolutely do this no question. it would make one bad ***** too!!!!!!!!!