5.0 twin turbo coyote??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Because if I want a heavy ass diesel in a truck, I'll take a Super Duty with a 7.3 PSD. Keep that little wannaba cutey-pie toy...the mall crawler crowd that rolls coal on parked cars can have that generic shit. ;)

what value does sneering at other's choices add to this group? are you 12? or making up for small organs?
it's amazing how rude people can be behind a keyboard.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My point was made tongue in cheek. Most of the folks who want an SUV with a diesel already likely have an excursion.

It's a damned lot of work putting a cummins in a Ford, let alone an Expedition and making it work, with the goal of having a reliable diesel powered half ton SUV.
For the cost, you could probably get an Excursion with none of the headaches.

But hey, I'm just the guy that's determined to stuff a 7.3 (gasser) into either my Expedition, or an Excursion sometime next year.

The average guy that just wants to diesel swap a non-diesel vehicle...is either paid to do it, extremely bored, or already has the engine to be swapped.
Which one again, are you? ;)

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, I don't know about your expensive toy, but mine was built as a Police Package for a fire department, in which it did very well for almost 16 years, thank you very much. I bought it from them and it's doing just fine. the design itself is widely known for its reliability and durability. of course it has its issues. what motor does not?
what makes the ecoboost, et al, expensive toys is their cost, both to buy and to maintain, compared with what they deliver for that money. unless you're racing them, you're really not getting value for money.
of course, this argument could go on for days because it all comes down to what we mean by "value". and, of course, I'm right and you are wrong.

oh, and lest I forget: the severe duty motor I would love to see in the Expy is the "million mile" 12V Cummins. I'm not saying the 12V lasts a million miles, though some have, I'm specifically referring to the rebuilds coming out of a shop in Oregon. If i ever find the damn link again, I'll post it. and as soon as I win the lottery, I'm putting one in.
failing that, I'd settle for an improved Ford straight six.

and yes, I need a severe duty motor in any vehicle I own. I resent paying for repairs for issues that arise solely because bureaucrats are allowed to design engines. I resist putting any more money in a car than absolutely necessary, which is why I don't buy new ones, and haven't since 1985. it's the only time i ever bought a new one and it wasn't worth what I paid for it.
though I grew up in a Chevy family, i switched to Fords because Chevy's just cost too much to drive.
an important metric that is almost universally ignored is cost per mile. almost nobody knows what the cost per mile is for the cars they are driving, and paying for.
Mine, for example, since I bought it has cost me $1.41 per mile counting every part of the purchase price, repairs, upgrades, gas; everything but insurance. I think that's higher than it could be because as a retiree we hardly drive it. we've had it almost two years and still haven't put another ten thousand miles on it, which is killing the cost per mile. but i do know what my total cost of ownership is.

PS this is not the original article, but this might be the shop i'm referring to: http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1605-how-to-give-a-cummins-59l-12-valve-second-life

i dont even know what to say to this!! i would basically disagree with this in almost every point of view. i love cars, i love wasting my money on them!! if you think that 5.4 is a severe duty motor there is no hope!! there would be ZERO reason to ever put a cummins 12V motor in an expy from the factory.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are you seriously condemning an engine design on one example? sorry yours was a lemon, but c'mon man, get over it already.

to be fair, if had one spitting spark plugs in traffic and Ford wanting to charge me a few grand for new heads, I'd probably be chasing them down in the streets with pitchforks and torches. that was one of the things I checked for before I bought mine; that the plugs had been changed relatively recently, i.e., new design.
one example!!!!do a google search my friend!!!

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get why everyone wants a 7 million HP truck that can jump Godzilla for 1-point 90 million dollars... I've owned several 500-700+ hp cars and sedans.

WHAT I can't understand is why Ford can't build the SUV I REALLY WANT.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be happy with about 400, 450 horse and an equal amount of torque (honestly rather have the torque over the HP in a 3 ton+, 8 seat kid hauler/boat dragger.

That it can be a V8 with equal or better mileage than the 5.4 currently there is a plus. I've certainly nothing against the the 3.5TT but I'll also do an exhaust, so it it has a little tone and maybe a bit of rumble...the whole healthy V8 sound.

The added complexity of throwing in a turbo and it's related bits on a lifted truck doesn't appeal to me. Though a stock Coyote conversion is also on the radar, I think the bigger, simpler engine would be more suited for pulling a boat, 7 people, and some gear to the lake every weekend. But hell, I could probably buy a PSD Excursion and have money left over for the cost of swapping engines, a standalone engine management system, much less the trans controller stuff...which is all uncharted territory for me.

Plus the thing would need to be as easy to drive as factory....I can't be sitting on the shoulder, trying to adjust a tune because the controller(s) are having a hard time with something...