5-2 air bag light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Simmons

Reaction score
I'm getting code 5-2 airbag light which my alternator line was cut and had to be replaced so the truck was just running off the battery for a bit and the truck died at one point. Now new alternator. New battery. New wires. And the air bag light is flashing 5-2 I disconnected battery for 10 min and it didn't go away..

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The code indicates Lost or low battery voltage

The following is part of the test procedure for that fault

Pinpoint Test A: LFC 12/52/DTC B1867 — Lost Battery Feed or Low Battery Feed Voltage

Pinpoint Test A: LFC 12/52/DTC B1867 — Lost Battery Feed or Low Battery Feed Voltage

Normal Operation

The air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) measures the voltage at C209-14, circuit 937 (R/W), of the air bag diagnostic monitor. Voltage at C209-14, circuit 937 (R/W), should be equal to battery voltage. If the voltage at C209-14, circuit 937 (R/W), drops to less than 8 volts, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 12 on the air bag indicator. If the voltage at pin C209-14, circuit 937 (R/W), drops to less than 5 volts, the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1867 will also be stored in memory. Should the loss of battery voltage at C209-14, circuit 937 (R/W), be intermittent or repaired, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash a LFC 52 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the next ignition switch cycle.

Possible Causes

SVJ~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~gen~ref.gif
WARNING: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SUBSTITUTE ANOTHER FUSE VALUE FOR THE 10A BATTERY FUSE 2. ANY FUSE OTHER THAN 10A MAY CAUSE DISARMING FAILURE AND MAY RESULT IN DANGER TO THE OCCUPANTS OF THE VEHICLE. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE 10A FUSE 2 UNLESS THE AIR BAG SYSTEM FIRST HAS BEEN DEACTIVATED. (REFER TO THE DEACTIVATION PROCEDURE IN THIS SECTION).

NOTE: If a short to ground exists on any of circuits 607 (LB/O), 614 (GY/O), 615 (GY/W), or 616 (PK/BK), leading to a LFC 13 or 53 and DTC B1913; or, similarly, a short to ground exists on any of circuits 617 (PK/O), 619 (PK/W), 624 (Y/W), or 625 (Y/LG), leading to a LFC 14 or 54 and DTC B1914, the air bag diagnostic monitor will activate an internal solid state switch at C209-13 of the air bag diagnostic monitor. This causes the battery fuse 2 (10A) to blow, thus disarming the air bag system and preventing inadvertent air bag deployment. If the power distribution box battery fuse 2 has blown, it must be replaced by a 10A fuse.

Low voltage at air bag diagnostic monitor C209-14, circuit 937 (R/W), can be caused by:

• An open in the battery circuit that would prevent battery positive voltage (B+) from reaching the air bag diagnostic monitor C209-14, circuit 937 (R/W).
  • A short to ground on the battery feed circuit between the fuse 2 (10A) and C209-13, circuit 937 (R/W), or C209-14, circuit 937 (R/W), of the air bag diagnostic monitor.
  • A concern in the charging system causing battery voltage to drop below 8 volts.
After the air bag diagnostic monitor has disarmed the air bag system, it will not be enabled to disarm again until the appropriate condition (DTC B1913 or B1914) has been repaired and cleared by performing the appropriate pinpoint tests.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PINPOINT TEST A: LOST OR LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE — LFC 12/52/DTC B1867
TEST CONDITIONS
TEST DETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
A1 CHECK FOR A HARD OR INTERMITTENT DTC

New Generation STAR (NGS) Tester

On-Demand Self-Test

• Was DTC B1867 retrieved?
YES
This is a hard fault. The fault condition is still present. This fault may not be cleared until it is corrected and the DTC is no longer retrieved during the On-Demand Self Test.

GO to A2 .

NO
This is an intermittent fault. The fault condition is not present at this time.

GO to A7 .
A2 CHECK THE BATTERY SUPPLY

Select PID VBATIAB.

• Is the voltage less than 5 volts?
YES
GO to A4 .

NO
GO to A3 .
A3 CHECK THE CHARGING SYSTEM VOLTAGE
Measure the charging system voltage.

• Is the voltage greater than 9 volts?
YES
DEACTIVATE the system. REPLACE the air bag diagnostic monitor. RECONNECT the system. VERIFY the system. REACTIVATE the system. GO to A10 .

NO
REPAIR the charging system. REFER to Section 414-00 . GO to A10 .
A4 CHECK FUSE 2 (10A)
Deactivate the system.

Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor

Battery Fuse 2 (10A)

• Is the fuse OK?
YES
REPAIR circuit 937 (R/W). RECONNECT the air bag diagnostic monitor connectors. GO to A10 .

NO
GO to A5 .
A5 CHECK CIRCUIT 937 (R/W) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
WARNING: DTC B1913 OR B1914 MAY CAUSE THE DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR TO INTENTIONALLY BLOW THE 10A BATTERY FUSE 2 TO DISARM THE AIR BAG SYSTEM. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE ANOTHER FUSE VALUE FOR 10A BATTERY FUSE 2. ANOTHER FUSE VALUE MAY CAUSE FUTURE DISARMING FAILURE AND MAY RESULT IN DANGER TO THE OCCUPANTS OF THE VEHICLE. ONCE THE AIR BAG DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR HAS DISARMED THE SYSTEM, IT WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO DO SO AGAIN UNTIL DTC B1913 OR B1914 HAS BEEN CLEARED. DO NOT REACTIVATE THE SYSTEM UNTIL ALL DTC CONCERNS HAVE BEEN REPAIRED AND CLEARED.
Replace fuse 2 (10A). The fuse must be 10A. Do not use any substitutions.

• Does fuse 2 fail again?
YES
REPAIR circuit 937 (R/W). RECONNECT the air bag diagnostic monitor connectors. GO to A10 .

NO
GO to A6 .
A6 CONFIRM THE CONDITION
Reconnect the air bag diagnostic monitor connectors.

• Does fuse 2 (10A) fail?
YES
REPLACE the air bag diagnostic monitor. REPLACE fuse 2 (10A). The fuse must be 10A. Do not use any substitutions. RECONNECT the system. REACTIVATE the system. GO to A10 .

NO
GO to A7 .
A7 CHECK IF THE DTC WAS REPAIRED
Deactivate the system.

• Has DTC B1867 just been repaired?
YES
CHECK fuse 2 (10A). The fuse must be 10A. Do not use any substitutions. GO to A10 .

NO
GO to A8 .
A8 CHECK THE CHARGING SYSTEM
An intermittent charging system concern could lead to a DTC B1867.

• Has a charging system concern been reported or noticed on the vehicle?
YES
REPAIR the charging system concern. Refer to Section 414-00 . CHECK fuse 2 (10A). The fuse must be 10A. Do not use any substitutions. GO to A10 .

NO
GO to A9 .
A9 CHECK THE BATTERY FEED
Visually inspect all crimps, terminals, fuses, wires and connectors in circuit 937 (R/W) feeding air bag diagnostic monitor C209-13 and C209-14. Check for poor connections, pinched wires, and damaged connector pin terminals.

• Are there any concerns noticed?
YES
REPAIR the concerns in circuit 937 (R/W). CHECK fuse 2 (10A). The fuse must be 10A. Do not use any substitutions. GO to A10 .

NO
RE-EXAMINE the DTC description and electrical schematic. CHECK for causes of intermittent low battery voltage at C209-13 and C209-14, circuit 937 (R/W). ATTEMPT to recreate the hard faults by driving the vehicle, flexing the wire harnesses, and cycling the ignition key frequently. REPAIR any intermittent concerns found. GO to A10 .
A10 CHECK FOR OTHER DTC

NOTE: Do not clear any of the DTCs until all DTCs have been resolved.

• Retrieve continuous DTCs.

• Were any other DTCs retrieved?
YES
REFER to the Air Bag Monitor DTC Priority Table and GO to the proper pinpoint test to continue the diagnostics.

NO
Do not clear any of the DTCs until all DTCs have been resolved.

REACTIVATE the system. CLEAR all of the DTCs.

All of the above was copied from the 1997 Ford Service manual

OP
OP
David Simmons

David Simmons

Reaction score
ok i hope i dont sound like an idiot but i read that and got nothing from it except for that it means low battery voltage... since my battery was dead and now is being charged by the alternator and wasnt before could that be reason until its fully charged? and if so should i go to auto zone and charge it? thanks

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a volt meter check fuse #2 under the hood You do not need to pull the fuse to check it.

View the attached link as there is information on how to test fuses

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/fuse-testing-101.24587/

Check fuse #2 it is hot at all times

Also check fuse #22 under the dash fuse box but the engine needs to be running to test this fuse It is only hot when the key is in the run position

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After you have your battery fully charged check the voltage, 12 volts or better
Also check the voltage at the batteyr with the engine running at about 1500/2000 RPM's You should see about 13.5 volts or better
Post the results

OP
OP
David Simmons

David Simmons

Reaction score
After you have your battery fully charged check the voltage, 12 volts or better
Also check the voltage at the batteyr with the engine running at about 1500/2000 RPM's You should see about 13.5 volts or better
Post the results

Ok I checked I I'm getting 12.9 and 14.5 volts so that's solid and battery is charged so I shouldn't have this problem I feel lol right?