5.4 32v Navigator reliability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasteddie313

Reaction score
I'm looking at 2003 and 2004 navigators for the newer body, 34v engine, and 4r100

Do you think this would be a reliable combination?
I think I've read that among the modulars the 5.4 dohc 32v is more reliable and doesn't suffer from the crazy 3-valve problems?

What do you know?

Reading here it sounds like these ford motors either go 300k miles, or explode around 100k..

What would you think about me buying a very clean example in the 150-200k range?

Should the timing chain guides, oil pump, whatever else be replaced to ensure reliability?

If I could get into one of these that I thought would last me for a little while for around $4500 I think I just might..

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Lincolns tend to be owned by the older bunch so typically babied and maintained a little better. My kids were looking at the Lincolns before buying the 10 Expedition and all the research I could find was pretty good on that engine. They can have the same problems as the Expeditions with timing equipment but "seems" to be more limited, or if problems not reported. I did look at a couple Lincolns with the kids and that engine is really wide so looked like to me a major headache replacing the plugs etc, but maybe not. The bigger concern I had was having to run premium fuel in it as I believe the engine compression is upwards of 10:1. This engine is basically a performance engine that was modified more for the Mustang line. They are noway close to the problems of the 3v engine as far as I could tell, that one like you say is trouble free or drains the bank at 100k.
And for some reason they don't seem to hold their resale so can be bought for a reasonable price. For the right price and finding one with maintenance records might be a good buy.

Another good buy is the 03-04 Expedition before they started the 3v engine. I have seen those on CL for 4500-6500 with 100k+- miles. These 2v engines by this time pretty much had the bugs worked out.
Good luck

Last edited:

01-LincolnNav

Reaction score
My navigator is an 01 so I'm sure there may be some differences but I love mine. Mine was also well maintained by the previous owners. The only problem I've had with it so far was the air suspension dying, so I had it converted with a monroe kit and it still rides great. I don't worry too much about premium gas. My friend had a navigator in his family for over 15 years and never put premium in it and his ran just fine. I haven't put premium in mine either and haven't experienced any problems.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We all like what we like, but I chose the Expy over the Navigator when we got the '04, and again when I bought my DW her then new '13 King Ranch, even though she wanted the Lincoln. I just couldn't handle paying extra for that butt ugly car!