5.4 3v vct solenoid.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ill try my best here to keep it short.
I bought a 2007 expedition with a reman frasier motor in it with only 1k on rebuild.it has a soft tick when warm, i k8nda thought was normal as it runs awsome no cel. It idles and drives great but that tick.so guy said he did the vct solenoids and i removed the rubber cover and indeed it looks shiny new. So my passenger side i can feel the vct pulse but not on drivers side i cant. Even if i unplug the drivers side it doesnt throw a code, but the passenger side does when unplugged. Unlike the older 5.4 3v i have to remove the valve cover to replace. I ohm tested both and get 10-11ohm and i get 13.9volts from pigtail with motor running.. so what the heck should it be pulsing as well i think like passenger side? Oil was changed at 500 buy guy who did it and i did the 1k oil change and it did have the pearl oil from breaking in. I did the 2k oil change last week and had no shimmer in oil... could the breaking in metal shimmer have ruined a brand new solenoid? Main concern is why doesnt it throw a code when unplugged when running only on that one side?

Starting to miss my 99 expo neverhad problems

Last edited:

JHolden

Reaction score
I have a 2007 also. I heard a tick as well and was error tracing. I suspected the VVT solenoid but before I could do anything about it the serpentine belt tensioner exploded. after replacing that the tick disappeared.

Just something that's worth checking.

JHolden

Reaction score
For what its worth I sold my 2004 and replaced it with a 2007, and I have had endless issues. I checked the service history and the 2007 has had $5300 worth of work in the 2 years before I owned it. I have done welding, transmission fluid change,hubs, and a ball joint.

I miss my 2004

OP
OP
R

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has new belt from the looks of it... guu owned a shop was suppose to be for his sister but she didnt want it.. so it has new plugs,new coils,new water pump, exhaust gaskets. Its just the fact that i don feel the solenoid pulsing or get a check engine light if unplugged that worries me.. can anyone check theirs to see what theirs does if unplugged only the drivers side.

I love the truck way more then my 99 but dang 3v issues

JHolden

Reaction score
I unplugged the passenger side on mine while error checking, I now have a check engine light and code that wont go away. P0340 and 0344

these trucks do have some issues, I have to replace the rear hubs this weekend, then I am going to sell it.

OP
OP
R

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea if i unplugged my passenger side it threw a code. But why wont th driver side.. why its obd2 it should freak out... its just wierd cause its all new and to remove the code just unhook battery for a while

Im really hoping someone can feel their driver side vct solenoid and is it pulsing at a hot idle. Cause im assuming both need to be pulsing when warmed up...

Last edited:

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At idle they don’t do much of anything. If you can see the VCTADV PID with your scanner in real-time you’ll see what kind of advance the ECU is commanding. At idle it’s usually 0.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tritons have a light tick when all is well I think? Mostly audible when the hood is up

When things are truly fooked they clack and clatter and throw pages of codes

PS also maybe look to see if they didn't just forget some cover or insulation material when installing it, or has a screw or mount not torqued somewhere... perhaps that's why you're hearing it more on one side

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5.4 Triton will always have a noticeable tick. Most of what you hear are the injectors pulsating. When you hear a diesel type clatter is when a phaser is failing or stuck at advance. More of a “glug glug glug” from under the truck..... not a light “tick tick tick”.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an example of a new 5.4 when this video was taken..... skip to 4:30 that’s what they sound like.

Last edited: