5.4 Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our trucks' ECU doesn't lend to laptop tuning. Check out ROMRaider, etc. I used a LT for my Subaru (300hp and 320lbs-ft at the wheels).

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DetroitDarin I'm not understanding. so our type of Expedition cant get a laptop tune? Detroit Darin there are guys down here in south texas that say they can laptop tune a expedition. could they be trying to scam me?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It depends on the software and if the Expedition is supported. HP Tuners uses a direct connection between the laptop and ECU. But I don't know if they support the Expedition. I'd ask what software they're using.

Last edited:

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh wow ok so when I do a laptop tune what am I looking for? what should I make sure the dude tuning my truck is doing. I ask this just to make sure this guy is not jerking me around...

AggieExpo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too need a tuner. I've done several mods to my 06 but the one i never did was the cai. i instead used the k&n air filter. My understanding is that the stock engine has more air than it needs and that you wont get much improvements with a cai if any at all. I like it but i want more power. I'm currently getting 16.1 mpg with my 4x4 expo. i wish i could dyno test it but i don't think there is a place here that does that. I like SCT but not sure if that is the best route to go in my expo.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh wow ok so when I do a laptop tune what am I looking for? what should I make sure the dude tuning my truck is doing. I ask this just to make sure this guy is not jerking me around...

There's a lot that they can adjust. They start with loading a base tune with the values for the MAF and injectors you're running. From there the MAF curve needs to be adjusted. If the values are good this shouldn't take long. The value files for the 80lb injectors in my Cobra are close. It still took some work to get the car to run the way I like at part throttle. I've tuned two cars with 60lb injectors and they were a lot easier. Once the part throttle is dialed in WOT pulls are made. Usually with a lot of timing pulled out because the AFR will be off. That usually takes a few pulls to dial in. Then timing can be added. The amount of timing will depend on how aggressive the tuner is. I don't tune on the ragged edge. I prefer a little cushion just in case.

With the newer Expeditions there's also the drive by wire system that can be changed as well as the variable cams. As far as I know SCT doesn't allow amateur tuners to mess with the drive by wire without training because it can cause issues like pushing the pedal 1/4 of the way down and the ECU giving WOT. The cams can be tweaked to give better low end torque. But that's not something I've messed with. One of these days I'll start messing with the wife's car. Without her knowing of course.

The main reason I say tune it yourself is the part throttle driveability. Most tuners will do the rpm step test, make the changes, and call it good. I've spent countless hours getting my car dialed in. But I got it to the point anyone can drive it. At least at part throttle. Once they get past half throttle things change quickly.

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Placed the order for my superchios programmer today, can't wait to hook it up to the expo and use it to pull my trailer back to Louisiana.