50 Gallon Fuel Tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s why they got the name “lie-o-meter” lol. Would an auxiliary tank automatically be drawn from in the case the regular one empties?
What I understand is that the the two are connected together so unlike an airplane, you don't have to switch tanks, but what I would like to find is a 50 gallon single tank that you could swap out the stock tank with and then you don't have to worry about two tanks.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Andy only way you could get 50 gallons from the same tank is if you mount it in your cargo area... a lot like a fuel cell they use in race cars.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy only way you could get 50 gallons from the same tank is if you mount it in your cargo area... a lot like a fuel cell they use in race cars.
I'm probably not going to do that. :) There is a lot of room in the frame area on the EL so If I could find a longer tank, I think it would fit.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your bladder can go more than the 400+ miles you should be able to get on a full tank? Mine can't! :)

-- Chuck

My same thought.

If you did burn through a 50 gal tank in one shot, you probably wouldn't be able to walk when you got there- all stiffened up from sitting in the same position for over 7 hours.

Plus, if Walking Dead has taught us anything about cars in the zombie apocalypse, your thin sheetmetal is bulletproof. Even from a 30 caliber machine gun fired at close range.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Bulletproof sheet metal?! :) We habitually take cars to the range just to demonstrate how easily they can be penetrated with service ammo. Even 5.56mm NATO gets thru in most places. 7.62mm NATO ("thirty caliber") doesn't even blink. Fancy JHPs, while great against animal tissue sometimes have trouble.

I noted on my frequent trips back and forth from Cleveland OH to Gettysburg when my daughter was in college that if I cut my cruising speed by 5mph I could get there faster and use less fuel. The required gas stop running 75 rather than 70 took more time than I gave up with the slower cruising speed. I doubt this is unique to this journey. Fuel mileage with the '17 seems a couple miles per gallon better than the '07. Different axle ratio probably helps.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bulletproof sheet metal?! :) We habitually take cars to the range just to demonstrate how easily they can be penetrated with service ammo. Even 5.56mm NATO gets thru in most places. 7.62mm NATO ("thirty caliber") doesn't even blink. Fancy JHPs, while great against animal tissue sometimes have trouble.

I noted on my frequent trips back and forth from Cleveland OH to Gettysburg when my daughter was in college that if I cut my cruising speed by 5mph I could get there faster and use less fuel. The required gas stop running 75 rather than 70 took more time than I gave up with the slower cruising speed. I doubt this is unique to this journey. Fuel mileage with the '17 seems a couple miles per gallon better than the '07. Different axle ratio probably helps.

-- Chuck
Tom was referencing the episode from Walking Dead two weeks ago when they were firing a .50 cal machine gun at Rick's Jeep and the bullets didn't penetrate until the hit the radiator. :D

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Do you plan wearing a diaper, like that psycho NASA lady? It takes like 5-10 minutes, to fill up. I would spend the $1000+ on something you can enjoy.