Extended crank on morning below 50

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dah90

Reaction score
Please help. At a complete loss. My 2012 expedition has been giving me cold start issues. Extended/hard start when 50 degrees or below and the vehicle has sat overnight. once it starts up I get a plume of blue/white smoke. I also get a whistle/whine when driving until the engine is warm.

Here is the kicker. I took it to a shop for these and other issues. They couldn’t duplicate the cold start and said the whine was just the air intake tubing being fit wrong and that it was fixed. I had some awful rattles under load as well. Ended up getting the engine replaced with a ford reman and all the rattles are gone. I plan to keep this vehicle for at least 7 more years. As my family of 5 cannot afford to replace it with a newer vehicle of the same size.

I got it back from the shop yesterday. Went to take it for a drive this morning and the cold start issue and whine are still there! I just spent $8300 and am still having these two issues. What could this be? Any help or tips to diagnose/possible solutions would be greatly appreciate.

I understand the whistle/whine and the hard start May or may not be related.