6 passenger suv delima

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bojaz01

Reaction score
ok, i have a 99 xlt.........I love my expy, everything about it except that reliability is questionable, it is 13 years old and has 149,000 miles on it.....i would like to have something much more reliable. the delima is in 6 months i will be able to afford a newer suv, been looking at a 2003 hummer h2, or to have my expy rebuilt, but i really dont want a $400 a month payment.....the question is does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to have my expy rebuilt to like new condition (mechanically)? but rebuilt without al the problems that i have read about....I ran into a woman yesterday that had an 06 expy, and when i talked to her about it she wasnt very pleased with it, engine and transmission problems etc......any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated....

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A hummer H2 is a fat tank on a tahoe frame(literally). It may have some low gearing but that mpg just has to be awful. My neighbors expy is at over 200k and still going so i wouldnt worry about the reliability too much. I live in wisconsin so our trucks have been through salt baths before. I guess i am a little bias though since i have always been around fords lol.

OP
OP
bojaz01

bojaz01

Reaction score
thanks for the responses.......i just got back from taking the expy on a mild road trip, only 100 miles but havent taken it that far at once before, got it in oct. last year......i was amazed, went 120 miles on a quarter tank of gas. Since i agree with 02expi "if it aint broke, dont fix it", not to mention i REALLY dont want a $400+ a month payment, im definatley gonna keep it......Thanks for the responses!!!!!

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah my truck just rolled 200,000 and I have only needed to replace a few things. Obviously not all trucks are the same, but I would not worry about rebuilding the motor and tranny until they give you reason to do so. Change your oil every 5000 (they say 3000, but I do not think its necessary) and get your tranny flushed every 100,000 or so and it should be just fine.

OP
OP
bojaz01

bojaz01

Reaction score
Thanks fordandpolaris.........gonna get trans flushed this fall as well as oil changed....Im an apt complex maint.man so my mileage isnt to bad maybe 4000 a year......living where i work is great......i see your from st cloud MN, i was station in Grandforks ND for 3 and a half years....i miss being up there, damn good hunting....

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah if its not giving you problems i would fix it as things go wrong and keep up/do all maintenance and that's about all you can ask of a older truck.

age and mileage doesn't really matter so long as you take care of it..it will take care of you.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
bojaz, like others have said, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. The motors are good for out to 300K+ miles. So, other than normal maintenance, you will be good there. As for the tranny, like was mentioned, change the fluid and don't think you can tow a 12,000 pound trailer and you will be good. The rest, keep an eye on things, replace as they wear out. Worst case, start setting aside say $100 a month for replacement parts and see what happens. Still much cheaper than a $400 a month car payment and if something does happen that is expensive, you will have a lump sum to put down on the repair.

OP
OP
bojaz01

bojaz01

Reaction score
Thats exactley what im gonna do....i do love the truck, the interior space, and the a4wd sysytem is great for the snowy season here in ohio....im also a hunter and it provides all the room for my gear, the only thing ill be towing will be a four wheeler, and scrap a/c condensors and waterheaters to the scrap yard for a little extra income.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire