8 Plugs Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
None broken.

I only have 54,500 miles on the truck. I wanted to do it sooner than later.

I pulled the coils off and labeled them. I blew everything out with compressed air. Then sprayed WD-40 penetrant (not the standard WD-40) in all the plug holes. I let it sit for about 15 minutes then started working the plugs loose. From there I replaced the plugs and then put the coils back on. I pulled all the plugs on one side and blew the holes out again then did the other side. The whole thing took me about 2 hours.

dscn1551_zps50a3b265.jpg

The penetrating spray must have drained into the cylinders because when I fired it up it smoked like crazy. I should have warned my wife.

I took it for a test drive and its running great.

I don't know if doing it earlier than recommended helped but I'm happy with the results.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it helped considerably. I had 4 broken when I changed mine at 116k

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have done mine and my friends he has a 2nd gen and between the both of em I was 16 for 16 for not breaking plugs or having any troubles haha the E3 Diamond Fires give the 5.4L way more of a kick in the ass it picks up quick!