$800 98 Expedition XLT 4X4 budget build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
frito-bandito

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Yeah the 285's ain't the best but at least I'll feel a little safer when I actually get to drive it to a tire shop, the existing tires have the cords showing. But I'm off tomorrow... or today actually, so I plan on making some real progress!

OP
OP
frito-bandito

frito-bandito

Reaction score
So I did work on the Expy Thursday, at the advice of a local mechanic, I removed the transmission crossmember and unbolted the t case believing that I could squeeze it between the exhaust and the torsion bar crossmember....WRONG!!! The tailshaft of the t case is up against the floor of the truck and won't allow it to pivot down and come out, it don't lack much though. I'm dreading messing with the torsion bars, so before I do that, I'm gonna see what happens if I unbolt the tailshaft housing since tbhis t case is shot anyways. I'll add pics of my progress after I get off work. If y'all have any suggestions please let me know!

timberwoof

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm subscribing to this. I always like to watch builds like this. Good luck man, and keep up the work.

dgalvin66

Reaction score
Ok, it has been 8 days and no update? You must have had some progress. At least gotten the transfer case out. We are gonna run out of popcorn!!!!!!

OP
OP
frito-bandito

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Well no, I suck, I been kinda busy, but I squeezed in a little wrenching yesterday. I had the bright idea of trying to remove the tailshaft housing to try and get some clearence, I got all of the bolts out but one, and of course that one stripped out. So I'm gonna go back with a hacksaw and cut the exhaust crossover pipe and see if it will come out. Of course I'm trying to avoid messing with the torsion bars, but that will be my last resort. Thanks for the comments and support and ill update more often.

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow youve got me thinking maybe i should change my tcase fluid...
and my tranny fluid, and my diff fluids, coolant flush, fix my broken washer hose that goes to the back wiper and spews washer fluid all over the ground, get new sway bar end links, new wheels bearings, fix my shifter linkage that says N when im in reverse and R when im in park, new coil pack for some cylinder, probably needs new plugs soon, OMG! why did I start talking?!?!?!

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lol @ expeditionary i know exactly how you feel man its all the little sh** thad adds up.
and great work so far frito. sounds like your having fun bet your wishing it was 4x2 now would be easier to deal with.

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lol @ expeditionary i know exactly how you feel man its all the little sh** thad adds up.
and great work so far frito. sounds like your having fun bet your wishing it was 4x2 now would be easier to deal with.

Its the little things that get you, and im one who will Mod before he repairs, which I know is bad but the important stuff is all good, its just the little things...
id take the headache and the work of a 4x4 over a 2wd anyday.
4x4>4x2 lol
My dad used to have a 98 EB 4x4 that he got rid of at 250k, bought an 03 EB 4x2 in 06, put 100k on that since he bought it. I Was talking to him the other day and he said "I think im just going to go for it and get a new(er) f150 this year, and there's no way I'm buying another 4x2" LOL!
He said he hates having to worry about getting stuck in the most simple and easy offroad places like sand, little mud, or wet grass. (no BS i got his truck stuck in wet grass one time lol)
Ill own 4x4s the rest of my life, I just love them idk what it is

Last edited: