97 Eddie Bauer AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FX4 Matt

Reaction score
I picked up a 97 expedition 5.4 135k on it runs nice the only problem I have is while I have it in the AWD mode starting from a dead stop when I start to accelerate the whole truck shakes like hell. It only will do it in the AWD Setting all other 4x4 settings work fine.
I'm new to the expedition world I sold my 05 F150 lariat supercharged. Some of you may have seen my name on the f150 forums .

Thanks for any info in advance.

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully ? when you are switching it into 4x4 mode ? you are doing it off road ( dirt ) otherwise ? on asphalt ? it causes torque wind up ( need limited slip ) on the asphalt , etc ... surface ) or get ready for catastrophic drive line failure . thought that I would mention this to start with .

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm assuming you have it in the a4wd mode which is automatic four wheel drive not all wheel drive. It engages the 4x4 system when it senses that the truck has lost traction and unlike the previous advice you got it can be used on asphalt as it only engages when it senses slip. The whole point of this mode is to be used on asphalt in less than ideal conditions. That said I'm not an expert on how it works as I am new to the Ford world. I'm guessing it uses the ABS sensor to detect when I wheel looses traction and engages the 4wd. If not then there is a sensor in the drivetrain that must monitor this. I'd guess that your problem lies with that sensor as it sounds like your 4wd is fully engaged when in the a4wd mode. Unless of course your putting it in 4H. Then it's your bad as the poster above stated as full time 4wd is only for off road deep snow conditions.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can you hear the solenoid operating when you shift between the different modes?
sometimes it takes a second person to listen, from a safe distance & stance of course, while the rotational knob is turned due to engine noise.

does the light indicator on the dash, any mode, flash indicating a poss fault?

+1 on sensor/vacuum line perhaps.

PanHandler.

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford doesn't recommend running in 4WD on asphalt , it is right in my manual , and Jeff ( a ford mechanic of 22 years ) a friend of mine told me the same thing , you can do it on a roll 10 mph and under , ( normal , it will clunk a little bit )
its your truck , you can do what you want .

Last edited:

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford doesn't recommend running in 4WD on asphalt , it is right in my manual , and Jeff ( a ford mechanic of 22 years ) a friend of mine told me the same thing , you can do it on a roll 10 mph and under , ( normal , it will clunk a little bit )
its your truck , you can do what you want .

That would be standard 4wd. Read your manual under the part about a4wd or do a search in this board for it. In my hunt for expedition knowledge I've found a lot of threads about it. I agree with you that I would not reccomened someone drive with it on when on clear roads but irregardless the truck should not be hopping and skipping on dry pavement if its actually in a4wd. It would only do that in normal 4H or 4L. Its actually supposed to only be in 2wd in a4wd. The transfer case is engaged but the hubs are not locked until the computer detects slippage of the rear wheels.
I apologize if I made it seem like you didn't know what you were talking about as the was not my intention. Just sharing knowledge on how I understand the system to be used.

Last edited:

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could be wrong , wouldn't be the first time ? It states Do not use 4WD on dry , hard surfaced roads except models equipped with Auto 4Wd or AWD This may damage drive lines and axles ? It also states that in normal AWD mode ? It is like 2WD , and as traction is lost at the rear wheels , it will automatically transfer torque to the front wheels up to 100% ? are they talking about normal operation ? which is limited slip as compared to 50/50 in 4x4 ?

It is my understanding that Auto AWD is the running mode on the street ?

Last edited:

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reason that I am asking ? It is also my understanding that the rear axle runs at a different speed than the front ? this makes sense from what I have read ( if there is no give ) would cause torque wind up , they work against each other ? I will just keep playing it safe from a stop , off road .

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FX4 Matt

Reaction score
Thanks for some information I don't test any 4x4 on paved road. Another test in the snow today and I got the AWD light to flash at me. I guess I'll check the vacuum lines? Its just strange can hear the hubs lock in and out from 4h to 4l.