97 Eddie Bauer AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
The reason that I am asking ? It is also my understanding that the rear axle runs at a different speed than the front ? this makes sense from what I have read ( if there is no give ) would cause torque wind up , they work against each other ? I will just keep playing it safe from a stop , off road .

The front and rear gears run the same ratio. Even in 4 low it runs the lower ratio to all 4 tires. The problem lie when you try and turn or if the front and rear tires are worn differently.

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The front and rear gears run the same ratio. Even in 4 low it runs the lower ratio to all 4 tires. The problem lie when you try and turn or if the front and rear tires are worn differently.

Point taken ...

Normal_zps18f2091c.png

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I picked up a 97 expedition 5.4 135k on it runs nice the only problem I have is while I have it in the AWD mode starting from a dead stop when I start to accelerate the whole truck shakes like hell. It only will do it in the AWD Setting all other 4x4 settings work fine.
I'm new to the expedition world I sold my 05 F150 lariat supercharged. Some of you may have seen my name on the f150 forums .

Thanks for any info in advance.

Are you tires identical in size?? If yes then there is an issue with the A4wd. It is trying to engage when it should not assuming you are on dry pavement accelerating at a normal pace.

OP
OP
F

FX4 Matt

Reaction score
All tires are the same size. Could it be the transfer case motor? I don't want to shotgun parts but im just gonna avoid that setting.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
All tires are the same size. Could it be the transfer case motor? I don't want to shotgun parts but im just gonna avoid that setting.

I am guessing its either a sensor or the gem module itself which controls the A4wd. The fact that it is attempting to engage A4wd while there is no slip is the issue. Since you say it works in 4wd makes me believe the transfer case is working.

Last edited:

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score

+1 to Tom.. I also agree to this statement..

I always test from 2WD to AWD to 4WD on dirt INCLUDING pavement, without issues... Providing... it's a straight road... I even test 4Lo on the pavement, for a short distance, providing it is once again... A straight road..

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried changing the IWE Solenoid? Might help.. If not.. You may want to check/replace the ABS/Speed sensors on each wheel hub ..

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Have you tried changing the IWE Solenoid? Might help.. If not.. You may want to check/replace the ABS/Speed sensors on each wheel hub ..

97 has center axle disconnect. No IWE's

My 2000 has neither..:shrug:

I believe 97-98 had center axle disconnect. 1999-2002 had neither, front drivetrain always spins with movement of the vehicle. (Of course no power is applied unless the TC clutch is engaged) . 2003 and up have IWE's.

Last edited:

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
97 has center axle disconnect. No IWE's

My 2000 has neither..:shrug:

I believe 97-98 had center axle disconnect. 1999-2002 had neither, front drivetrain always spins with movement of the vehicle. (Of course no power is applied unless the TC clutch is engaged) . 2003 and up have IWE's.

Oppps... Sowwee :head3:

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
****** me off my A4wd setting quit working this fall, pretty sure its a HALL sensor in the t-case.

that being said i run 4x4 in alot of situations you guys would freak at. mainly due to black ice..ect its the worst in fall/spring when the roads start melting during the day but shaded spots,side roads..ect ect are snow/ice covered. the A4wd setting was great for this. i gotta get this fixed some time.