97 Expy needs some big attention

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mw1957

Reaction score
First, tranny is going. Torque Converter is going. Any place I should be looking for a rebuilt tranny? Like a "crate" tranny? Speaking of "crate," depending on cost, maybe at 250K miles it's time for a new engine as well. Any place you all could recommend for a good product at good price for a 5.4 engine? BTW, it's a 97 5.4 4WD auto. Thanks all

mc0311grunt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First, tranny is going. Torque Converter is going. Any place I should be looking for a rebuilt tranny? Like a "crate" tranny? Speaking of "crate," depending on cost, maybe at 250K miles it's time for a new engine as well. Any place you all could recommend for a good product at good price for a 5.4 engine? BTW, it's a 97 5.4 4WD auto. Thanks all
Depending on how long the truck can be down why not just have the current engine rebuilt? That is the route I would take. Same with the transmission. My new tranny, motor, and transfer case are all being rebuilt with all new stuff.

OP
OP
M

mw1957

Reaction score
Not using daily so I can go that route

That is possible. May I ask ballpark what you might be paying to have your current motor and tranny rebuilt? I guess I had it in my brain crate (non racing) was cheaper. Perhaps not?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having the engine rebuilt is cheaper since there are certain parts in the engine that can be reused, such as the block. I also would go with a rebuild on both engine and tranny if you plan on keeping the truck for a while yet.

mc0311grunt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is possible. May I ask ballpark what you might be paying to have your current motor and tranny rebuilt? I guess I had it in my brain crate (non racing) was cheaper. Perhaps not?

well the prices for my motor are significantly higher due to the parts I am using. But for lets say a stock 5.4 machining would be about $350-400. Head rebuild would be about $300. Rotating assembly would be roughly 900-1000. It can be done cheap. I am getting rebuilt big block chevy short blocks for $900 assembled. For a transmission alot of the stuff will get re used. I had the transmission in my shitstang get rebuilt for $600.

OP
OP
M

mw1957

Reaction score
Thanks much gentlemen. I will look to go that route.