'97 xlt accessories what would you buy to improve the utility of this truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
276k here. No issues driving yet but the longest I ran in one go was 175 miles stopping and starting the engine between trips to and from a storage building. once I get the front end and tires sorted I will fill er up and take a ride somewhere for the day and see how she does on the highway. so far I cant seem to get a vehicle that doesn't vibrate at 60, 70, or 80mph. (not that I'll be doing that in this tank but hey the smoother the better.)

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like we said, a plan/vision. Small little projects that your wallet allows, little wins per se', then the big stuff.

As far as vibration at highway speeds...that can be a multitude of things, from the simplest of properly balanced tire/wheels.

And yes, not know for their impressive mpg, I use cruise everywhere I go and try to not hammer the throttle. I think my overall mpg since purchase is approx 14.3.

PanHandler.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think what he is asking at least somewhat is what needs attention after many miles like that. If you don't know what all has been replaced in the past, then I would just replace things again to be safe unless you can tell for sure they are not factory. Ball joints and tie rods up front are a big one. Look to see if they have grease zerks, if they don't they should be replaced with ones that do have them. Even if they were replaced the first time they wore out (about 180k), you have enough miles where they might be looking to wear out again depending what brand was used.

Rear control arms are another one. My factories had holes about the size of a quarter rusted through when I replaced mine. u-joints on the driveshafts can cause vibrations. You shouldn't have any play in the shafts if you wiggle them with your hands. Wheel hubs are a good one as well. Cheap and easy. Check the boots on the CV axles. Any type of hole in the boot means there is probably dirt inside that will eventually compromise the axle.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't looked over the drive shaft but it's not giving that type of vibration. the other vibration is from the worn tires which will be sorted soon I hope. holidays have my finances stretched thinner than usual. I didn't see any rust when I looked it over when I bought her and being in Alabama it's a rare thing to get as we have no salt on our roads. (I ran the vin and she's been in Alabama her entire life.) the front hubs and bearings have been replaced and it is a 2WD so no drive axles (thank god, those damned things have leaked on every car I've ever had. )

as far as mpg goes I got about 16 average somehow...i've filled her up twice and reset the mileage and then ran the numbers and that's what it came up to. it's likely it's from the smaller tires but I can't see where a 245-75-16 would differ too much from a 255-70-16..

But before I can get tires, I need to get some of the front end replaced. I went to a tire shop and tried to get a set of used tires for till taxes come in and also get an alignment, I got neither except for a list of parts I need that came out to 450 for parts and 350 for labor. if it gets warmer this week I will raise the front end up and pull teh wheels off and have a better look myself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Funfetti