97 XLT engine and transmission rebuild/replace options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My expy is creeping closer to 300k. Everything is in great shape but the motor and transmission are starting to show their age. the trans may only need a filter and fresh fluid but I need to tackle that first.. possibly this weekend if weather is nice.

I feel the engine is good for the mileage but is beginning to burn oil and is most noticeable when it's been left at idle when you take off from a stop. there are no external leaks though.

the transmission has begun to take a second or two to go from R to D and if i forget this delay it will slam into gear. I've gotten used to it recently and now wait before applying any throttle when making the change. also there is a shudder when OD is off when I apply light throttle in the 1600-1800 rpm range in third. or about 50 to 60mph on a med incline. it doesn't do this if I have od on but give enough gas to shift to third. (tc unlocks then it actually shifts. then re locks the tc. verified by torque app)

what I would like to know, is would it be better to rebuild the 4.6 and 4r70w I currently have or should I just try to find a better engine (5.4 or whatever else may fit) I should be able to get her to 350k at least, 315k if I am unlucky, which would put me about 1 1/2 years away from doing anything if i wait to that mileage. I might consider just getting another vehicle but I have never tackled an engine rebuild or replacement and feel I could use the experience.

another thing to consider, including purchase price. I am only about $1700 into this truck so far. I paid more for tires than I did the whole truck ;)

So, what do. sell for profit and get another vehicle or lose money but gain engine replace/repair experience?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to be on the side of rebuilding instead of buying rebuilt. Now that I'm in a shop position I see the advantage of buying a crate motor and crate transmission.

First off - speed, your not waiting to build it yourself.
Second - warranty - something goes wrong and you have receipts to prove you have followed their guidelines, your saved from eating the whole mess.

The only reason I would build one myself would be I'm pushing the limits of the engine. Even then it would be a hard decision to make when you have pro's doing it on a daily basis. By that I mean racers, not the average engine mill.

If money isn't an object, I would go the V-10 swap with 6sp manual or a Cummins 4BT or maybe the 6BT.

Last edited:

gfh77665

Reaction score
My expy is creeping closer to 300k.

So, what do. sell for profit and get another vehicle or lose money but gain engine replace/repair experience?

Get rid of it ASAP!

Don't dump good money into an OLD truck. Even with a new drivetrain, the rest of it is worn out. Sell it and step up into a newer ride.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get rid of it ASAP!

Don't dump good money into an OLD truck. Even with a new drivetrain, the rest of it is worn out. Sell it and step up into a newer ride.

I believe the PO did most of the money sinking. mew air suspension, new rotors/pads new brake fluid. new front bearings. new upper control arms. (i recently replaced the lower ball joints) almost all of the chassis maintenance is up to date except for the rear diff fluid I think. I know I may end up losing money but I would love to actually do a swap for myself.

all I lack is getting the ac installed and getting the tie rods replaced. (or the boots at least, no play but cracked boots aren't to be played with)

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get rid of it ASAP!

I respectfully disagree with that, not everyone needs or even wants a 'new' truck.

Personally, I never want a car payment again. After paying on my last new car for a bit over 5 years I've had enough and would much rather put the money into something I own out right and can do with what I please.

Chair, as for your question, I guess it comes down to a matter of money and confidence; How much money can your afford to spend on 'freshening' your present drivetrain as opposed to how much you could spend on a different vehicle after selling your present one? If you are only going to step up a year or two then I doubt there is any real benefit to replacing your ride. And, how much confidence do you have that the replacement vehicle will actually be better and more reliable than the one you have now?

I guess the point to my second comment is this; I'd rather deal with the devil that I know than one I don't.

You have already put a tonne of effort into this vehicle getting it up to ***** and have come a long way, not really much more that I can see that still needs to be done.

vigman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well 1 argument for getting grid of it ( based on my 92 explorer )…
In So Cal the sun takes it toll, and most of my truck was ( like the Expy ) plastic.
all the little things from door handles to window motor's would SNAP.. which was quite the ******.. and MOST of the junk yard parts were just as baked.. which REALLY was ******* me off..Mechanically the truck just wouldn't die.. was always there , fired up did it's job and waited for the next. So I sold it to a "BUDDY" for $350.00 ( the tires were worth more that that) So what does it do to him ( on the way home no less ) the AC compressor clutch bearing seizes.. so he pulls over… he goes to get into the car.. the door handle snaps.. He had to crawl from the rear hatch to get back into the car.. to wait for a tow… And don't get me started on ALL the rubber that needed to be replaced in the chassis.

vigman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh and I vote to get a low milage wrecking yard engine, take the time to get it ready to toss in.. just before your ready to swap.. send the tranny our for rebuild.. while you waiting for the trans to come back you can clean & detail the ending bay ( make sure you cover the exhaust if your going to pressure wash.. don't want that junk in your CATS ( if you still have em ) and I would just ASSUME with this milage to replace the exhaust…
In the end you will have a reliable truck for a decent price… the ONLY way you will get your $$$ out is usage.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh and I vote to get a low milage wrecking yard engine, take the time to get it ready to toss in.. just before your ready to swap.. send the tranny our for rebuild.. while you waiting for the trans to come back you can clean & detail the ending bay ( make sure you cover the exhaust if your going to pressure wash.. don't want that junk in your CATS ( if you still have em ) and I would just ASSUME with this milage to replace the exhaust…
In the end you will have a reliable truck for a decent price… the ONLY way you will get your $$$ out is usage.

well, I have already got my $$ out of her. she got me through some snow when everyone else was stuck thanks to the LSD that the original owner opted for it seems.,and has helped me move two friends including myself. hell, just getting me to/from work was enough. hopefully things work out next year during tax season and over this year I can save up some to buy a second car then when taxes come in I can get the engine work started. then sell the second car when I am done.

as far as the interior goes, yeah, there are a few broken plastic pieces. all the window switch bezels are broken at the clips that hold them in, and two vent slots are cracked other than that the interior is okay for 280k.. also, my ac compressor is not there at the moment. gotta save up for that too.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if your saying that the motor smokes if you idle it then take off. this sounds like valve seals . I would get it compression tested. to see if you want to go any farther with this engine. if it passes this test then put rebuilt heads on it and drive it