98 Eddie Bauer Rear Wiper Wont Work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njackson481

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with my rear wiper problem? It wont come on. Ive checked the fuse and there was a 5 amp in plce where a 15 amp should be on the wiper fuse under the dash. I have changed this out with a new 15 amp fuse and it still wont work. Is there a relay that I'm missing? I can't figure this thing out. I've tried to look in my Haynes book and it really isn't any help. Please help. Thanks. New 98 EB EXPY owner.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear wiper problem on '98's have been a well discussed problem. The problem is with the internal relays in the wiper motor. The only solution is to replace it with a new one (actually, none are new, they are all rebuilt now). Anyway, it is a simple and relatively cheap thing to replace by yourself.

I messed with mine for a couple of years. I found that if I grabbed it, and shook it around a little it would start to work again. But this finally did not help anymore, and I got a new motor. Problem solved.

One other problem may be the multi-function selector switch (the one that works the wipers/turn sigs/highbeams/etc.). I also had to replace this when my front wipers started to go south. Again, a simple and inexpensive rep-lacement when done by yourself.

OP
OP
N

njackson481

Reaction score
Rwinch, I also have a new problem. My check engine light came on and the code shows P0171 - Bank 1 - Engine fuel additive too lean. Is this an easy fix I could do myself or is it worth the money to take it to someone?

OP
OP
N

njackson481

Reaction score
Rwinch, also forgot to ask...do you notice a difference using a K&N drop in air filter? I'm debating dropping one in my '98 EB 4X4.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really can't tell you much about how to cure the P0171 problem, but I would have the codes cleared (you can take it to AutoZone, and they will do it for free), and see if it comes back. Could have been a stray problem. Another thought, when was your fuel filter last changed?

In terms of the K&N, I really did not see much improvement, but then I do not have an aftermarket exhaust yet, nor have I changed the stock throttle body or MAF unit, both of which are air flow robbers. There is quite the debate on whether or not to use them. The opponents claim it lets too much dirt through, the ones that love them say it adds gobs of horsepower. I personally think that it filters fine, and made it so I only had to purchase one air filter (I have to clean periodically) instead of many for the same price.

jsalty

Reaction score
Originally posted by rwinch
Rear wiper problem on '98's have been a well discussed problem. The problem is with the internal relays in the wiper motor. The only solution is to replace it with a new one (actually, none are new, they are all rebuilt now). Anyway, it is a simple and relatively cheap thing to replace by yourself.

How would one obtain a replacement motor?

thank you.

my 98' seems to no longer work.

Jim

XLTman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
njackson i also have the knn drop in filter i noticed a slight difference but not much but needs cleaning alot if you drive off road like i do

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by jsalty
How would one obtain a replacement motor?

thank you.

my 98' seems to no longer work.

Jim

I picked one up from ebay a long time ago for about 60 bucks if i remember right, problem solved.