98 Expy with 5.0 l ? IS that rare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hertfordnc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 98 parts truck to get body parts for my 2001. The engine is a 5.0/

I'd only ever heard of the 4.6 and 5.4 going into the Expy. Is this rare?

I'll be parting out the truck when I'm done with it. Is there anything special about this engine?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be skeptical that it is actually a 5.0, but its possible!?! If it is indeed a 5.0 then it was a custom addition by the last owner. It is really cool to have in an Expy, but not sure it's really all that special. The 302 was the common Ford V8 before the Modular engine (4.6, 5.4, 6.8) came along. Now Ford has brought back the 302 as the main V8 again. If it is a new 5.0, it probably has quite a bit of power, but if it is the old 5.0, not so much.

But like was said, most likely someone playing a late April Fool's prank on you... Post some pictures down by the intake and we can tell you if it is a 5.0 or not. Its all about where the spark plugs are.

Paul2003

Reaction score
Since it's a 98 parts truck I doubt it would be a new 5.0. It could be an old 5.0 though. If someone had an old truck and the 4.6/5.4 died you could swap in a 5.0. They were plentiful and cheap. Strong engine in a ton and a half of Mustang but a bit over matched in almost 3 tons of Expedition.

Easy to tell by looking at it.

OP
OP
H

hertfordnc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never mind ......

When I googled the VIN several sites returned "1998 Ford Expedition 5.0 litre"

WHen i actually paid one of those sites for carfax info I learn it is in fact, a 4.6

Sorry for the dumb un-researched question.

B

bedrck46

Your question wasn't a dumb question.
I have said this before The only dumb/stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked
Glad you found your answer.

B

bedrck46

you can go to ford etis and enter your vin number to get some info on your expy. However sometimes it doesn't accept the vin number but its worth a try

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegerb50