99 4x4 steering and handling..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got to drive the girlfriends Jeep (07 Grand Cherokee) (no snow tires) in some fairly harsh winter conditions. I was amazed at how much safer it felt than my 99 Expy 4x4 with brand new snow tires.

I've put so much work into this truck over the last few years, so rather than ditch it for a Jeep, I'm considering a couple modifications.

Firstly, I'd like to lower it. I'm not 100% sure how to go about this even after researching here and on other ford truck forums. It's got the torsion bar front and non-air rear. Do I just go as low as possible with the torsion adjustment and then put some different springs in the rear? If so which? I'm probably looking for 3" of lowering at minimum, and I'm not sure the torsion will give that much. I'm mostly interested in this for improved handling and ease of access in and out. It's pretty much solely a winter highway cruiser for me and it never sees any off-road use.

Secondly I'm curious about tightening up the steering any. I assume there isn't a lot that can be done here, but do beefier sway bars and or strut bars etc offer any additional handling ability?

Thanks for any insight!

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a friend that lowered his 2003 Tahoe (same suspension style as a 1st gen Expedition). He did for the exact same reasons you mentioned.

But anytime you alter a vehicle far from its OEM parameters will have some compromise. I think he lowered it too much and it rides like crap. It basically rides on the bump stops.

You have a 19 year old Expedition. Fantastic. You claim it doesn't ride as well as an 11 year old Jeep. I'm going to guess that nearly everything in the front end could stand to be replaced: ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, tie rods, unit bearings. Possibly even the steering box. I've replaced all of that (minus the steering box) and mine tracks true and confident.

I'd keep it within the original parameters if I were you.

OP
OP
rtbrjason

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a friend that lowered his 2003 Tahoe (same suspension style as a 1st gen Expedition). He did for the exact same reasons you mentioned.

But anytime you alter a vehicle far from its OEM parameters will have some compromise. I think he lowered it too much and it rides like crap. It basically rides on the bump stops.

You have a 19 year old Expedition. Fantastic. You claim it doesn't ride as well as an 11 year old Jeep. I'm going to guess that nearly everything in the front end could stand to be replaced: ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, tie rods, unit bearings. Possibly even the steering box. I've replaced all of that (minus the steering box) and mine tracks true and confident.

I'd keep it within the original parameters if I were you.

It's not that it doesn't track true. It's just that on the highway it can be susceptible to some sway, and even driving slower in snow, it's a bit of a white knuckle experience. Her Jeep has 190k on it with original suspension components. Mine has about 150k on it. I realize I don't have a Jeep, I'm just shooting for a better handling expedition. I'm certainly not looking to slam it to the ground or compromise ride quality much or at all. I feel like a lower center of gravity and some other handling mods could do this truck some good based on how I use it on pavement only.

Essentially everything suspension wise has been replaced with Moog parts at this point. I haven't done the pitman arm or the steering box. I've also replaced all the struts with Bilsteins a few years ago, which did make a significant difference.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are those parts still good? An Expedition is slightly heavier and wears through front end parts faster than other vehicles.

OP
OP
rtbrjason

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are those parts still good? An Expedition is slightly heavier and wears through front end parts faster than other vehicles.

I believe so. I regularly have it up on a lift and typically inspect everything and add grease to the fittings as needed. All these parts have less than 20k miles on them as well. I don't believe anything is wrong with the vehicle from a parts standpoint. I'm just hoping to make it handle a bit better and feel a bit tighter. It would also be nice to be able to enter/exit the vehicle with a bit more ease as I'm getting old.