99 XLT 5.4 Triton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Halo(N)inja

Reaction score
I just bought a 1999 Ford Expedition XLT with a 5.4L Triton. I can not find my max towing capacity for this vehicle. It has 148.5k miles. So can someone tell me my cars specs. Google tells me that there is no such thing as a 1999 xlt with a 5.4l Triton. Also is there anything I need to know about these particular vehicles

Last edited:

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it have the factory class III towing hitch below the rear bumper with a 7-pin connector or just the hitch mount in the rear bumper? If you have the towing package your tow rating should be 5000 lb (500 hitch weight) and 8000 lb (800 lb hitch weight) with a weight distribution hitch. This is off the top of my head, I'll double check for you, but I'm 95% sure that's what it is. I believe it's the same regardless of your differential gearing. Is your truck 2 or 4WD?

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should be 5000/500 and 8000/800 with weight distribution. Look on the tow hitch bar. It should have a tag on it that says the exact weight rating.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The capacities vary based on rear end gears and wheel size. The max weight is for the truck, the trailer and all the gear loaded in to them.

Assuming that it came with the factory tow package, the max weights for a 5.4L 4x4 are:

3.73 gears and 17" tires 7400 lbs trailer weight
Max combined weight (truck and trailer) 13000 lbs

3.73 gears and 16" tires 7900 lbs trailer weight
Max combined weight (truck and trailer) 13500 lbs

3.31 gears and 16" tires 6400 lbs trailer weight
Max combined weight (truck and trailer) 12000 lbs

Max tongue weight is 500 lbs

Ford also says to use a weight distributing hitch for trailers over 4000 lbs

The thing to remember is that cooling is usually the main limiting factor in towing. With 148k on the clock, your cooling system may not be as efficient as it once was. Towing heavy loads in hot weather will stress the system, so check it out, (hoses, flush and fill) and keep a close watch on the gauge.

Last edited:

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The factory tow package already comes with transmission and oil coolers. Take a peek behind the front bumper and infront of the radiator for them.

As for the WDH, I'll let wiki explain:

A weight-distributing hitch is a "load leveling" hitch. It is a hitch setup mounted on the tow vehicle that uses spring bars under tension to distribute part of the trailer's hitch weight from the towing vehicle's rear axle to the towing vehicle's front axle and to the trailer's axle(s). It can help reduce trailer sway and hop. Trailer hop can jerk the tow vehicle. Trailer sway is sometimes called "fish tailing". At high speeds, trailer sway can become dangerous. Most vehicle manufacturers will only allow a maximum trailer capacity of 5,000****pounds (2,300****kg) and 500****pounds (230****kg) of tongue weight without using a weight-distributing hitch [this is true of our Expeditions]. Tow vehicles often have square receiver sockets to accept weight distributing hitches.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford