ABS Control Unit Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwedmundson

Reaction score
I went to a Ford dealer today to have the ABS and Advancetrac warning light diagnosed. They told me I need to have the ABS "HCU" replaced as it is a very painful price for the part (2K) which has to be ordered from the US. Has anyone had this before? The brakes work but they do not make that clicking sound when on ice (indicating the ABS is not working). I was hoping it was a bad sensor. Labor is not bad I think they said 1.5 hrs so I am wondering if I got a used part if the computer system would recognize or whether I would have to have it reprogrammed. Anyone experienced this / have advice. 2006 Expedition LTD 4x4 with 149,000 kms. I attached the diag of the part (I think they say I need both the module and the pump?). Main thing I am wondering about is whether its a simple replace or whether I have to pay the dealer to reprogram. :emotions133:

Attachments

• IMG-20131230-01076.jpg
    IMG-20131230-01076.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG-20131230-01078.jpg
    IMG-20131230-01078.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG-20131230-01090.jpg
    IMG-20131230-01090.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went to a Ford dealer today to have the ABS and Advancetrac warning light diagnosed. They told me I need to have the ABS "HCU" replaced as it is a very painful price for the part (2K) which has to be ordered from the US. Has anyone had this before? The brakes work but they do not make that clicking sound when on ice (indicating the ABS is not working). I was hoping it was a bad sensor. Labor is not bad I think they said 1.5 hrs so I am wondering if I got a used part if the computer system would recognize or whether I would have to have it reprogrammed. Anyone experienced this / have advice. 2006 Expedition LTD 4x4 with 149,000 kms. I attached the diag of the part (I think they say I need both the module and the pump?) :emotions133:

This maybe a shot in the dark... Maybe the HCU is clogged.. Try flushing the brake fluid.. Hopefully maybe it was just a air lock, to where the pump is pushing air instead.
:head3:

Msport

Reaction score
I had the ABS light once on my 2003 5.4 (no Advancetrac) and checked the resistance to all the 4 sensors to troubleshoot, found one which had a different resistance. Then I changed the abs sensor and removed a battery terminal for a few minutes, it fixed the problem.

OP
OP
R

rwedmundson

Reaction score
It is my hope that the dealer checked this but I have to wonder. I did find a used Controller / Pump in Spokane for 150.00. Having it shipped as provisional. Worth a try as opposed to $2200.00 from Ford. Appreciate your feedback. I will for sure let you know what the resolution ends up being. Brakes still work so I am going to take my time.

OP
OP
R

rwedmundson

Reaction score
Finally got around to taking in the Expedition to have the part installed and they are telling me it will not "program." They said it has been escalated to Ford. Fingers crossed for tomorrow