Abs issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rosin

Reaction score
You might try it anyway. I took mine to AutoZone, and they said they couldn't read ABS codes. But later I went back because I had some engine codes, and they picked up the ABS code too.

Rosin

Reaction score
OK, you're right; that has nothing to do with your ABS. It's kind of lame that you have to buy a different machine to read ABS and transmission codes.

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ABS and transmission aren't OBD-II codes, they're Ford "proprietary" codes. It's not so much that you need to buy a seperate/different scanner, you just need to buy the right scanner that does all of the work.

Given that a lot of auto parts places will give you a free code read with their generic OBD-II scanner, if you want your own scanner, you should save the money that would be spent on your own generic scanner and buy something better.

There's a variety out there, but they're going to be more expensive than most of the sub-$100 jobs.

The scanners can get pricey, but depending on how much work you're willing to do yourself, they can save you a ton of money.

I would steer clear of Bluetooth/Smartphone App combos, but that's me. I don't trust the app developers to maintain updates.

I bought AutoEnginuity for my laptop a few years ago, along with the enhanced domestic package (Ford, GM and Chrysler). It's $800 today for the package, and does require a PC or laptop, but I've saved far more than that in labor/diagnostic costs that I would have had to pay someone else to do.