ABS Light AND Error Codes - Need More Data

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All,

My ABS light came on yesterday while in traffic. It was quite weird, dry pavement, not going very fast (15 mph or so, maybe less) and I started to break (some yahoo cut me off). I felt the brake pedal shudder (ABS engaging), came to a complete stop. As soon as I started moving forward, the light came on. Now, as soon as I start moving forward, the light comes on. I tried to replace the rear speed sensor, but the one from Napa did not fit; I cleaned the old one and reinstalled - no joy. I needed to go to the tire place anyway (another story) and asked them to pull codes. They found three: P1169, 1229, and 1230.
I looked online for these codes, and have an idea what they are, but that is it... do I need to take my Expy "to the shop"?

Hammer

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will say that I have had the fuse pulled for the ABS for over a year and a half and have not missed it at all. And it snows buckets up here... Mine used to kick in while turning right and braking. Made for an interesting time trying to park. The ABS light means the system has turned itself off due to a problem. Pulling the fuse will keep the light on but atleast you do not have to worry about it engaging when unwanted.

However, if you do want to get it to work again, then best bet is to check the connections on all 4 corners. The front sensors are apart of the wheel hub assembly I believe, though I am not positive. There is a wire coming out of each hub for the ABS.

As for the codes:
OBDII Code P1169 - Fuel Rail Sensor In-Range High Failure | Infinitihelp.com
P1230 Ford DTC: Low Speed Fuel Pump Fault Conditions

And the P1229 is weird. All I could find on that one is that it means the supercharger intercooler pump is not working... and I am going to guess you do not have a supercharger...
By the looks of it, you need to do a new fuel pump as well.

EDIT: I take the "need a new fuel pump" statement back, do you notice that you are down on power? After doing some more research I found that these codes seem to be linked with the ABS problem. It seems you are not the only one out there with issues similar to this.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/code-meaning-p1229-p1230-250206/

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks

Not down on power, MPG still around 14 / 18.

Probably should replace the fuel filter, though.

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update - after reading previous post, talking with guy at O'Reillys... the codes are most likely P1169, C1229, and C1230... the guy at Kauffman's only had the numbers, so I assumed. However, he did say he had to "go through the ABS to get the codes..." so perhaps all three are "C" codes...

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fixed...
Replaced the Rear Speed Sensor ($15.00 at O'Reillys)... 3/8" socket... 4 (maybe 5) minutes...
Took me longer to find my darn 3/8 socket... :)