ABS light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my '97 Expy, my ABS light stayed on towards the end of that truck's
life. I just pulled the fuse and continued motoring on with functioning brakes. Just no ABS and some black tape on the dash over the light.
On the '05 I have now, it's happening again. Except I have only 60K
miles on it. This is too serious a problem to overlook on a truck with this kind of mileage. It already almost caused an accident by applying ABS on dry pavement, causing me to put all of my 215 lbs. on the pedal to avoid hitting the car in front of me. This would happen intermittently, along with the light going on and off with the brake pressure going from hard to mushy. Non of these things would happen in any logical order either. Before I throw a test meter on the wheel sensors or try to determine if it's the whole module, I'd like to ask the forum if this is a common problem with second gen's and what it most likely would be. Seems that while this truck is an overall improvement over first gen models, Ford skimped on quality of materials used that results, at least with my truck, in a lot of nasty little problems I never experienced with my first '97. This premature ABS failure being one of them.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I have the same thing with my 97. Came after I replaced the front wheel hubs. My money is on a faulty speed sensor. I think there are one in each of the front hubs. Look for the black wire coming off of the hub and going to the wire harness. Not sure if the rear hubs have them as well. 1st gens have them on the diff on the rear axle. When the light is on, the ABS should be off completely. I did the same thing you did and just pulled the fuse in mine. I would pull the fuse in your's too until you can pinpoint the problem. Not worth an accident just to have ABS half of the time.

Last edited: