ABS System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mary A Robbins

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Ford Expedition xlt 4.6L. About 9 mths ago my ABS light came on, with blowing sound under hood which went away in 1day, that I was told buy a Mechanic that it was my ABS PUMP going out. The ABS light in my truck has been on 24/7 for the last 9 mths. I was told it's not my wheel bearing or sensor, it's the pump for sure. The mechanic wants to charge me 1,500 for ABS PUMP & labor. Can I go without this ABS PUMP, as I only drive 20 miles a day & it's not raining or snowing here I OAKLAND CA. Can I just go without this pump, it's a lot of money to spend.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You dont have to replace it, if you dont need ABS. $1500 is a ridiculous number! Although, I'd say that is for a new one installed. You can buy a good/used one for under $100(www.car-part.com). Installation shouldn't be more than a few hundred dollars. I did one on my 97, and wasnt a hard job at all.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you do know you can take your SUV to a auto parts store like Auto zone, Advance Auto Parts, etc...and they will scan you codes for FREE!!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mary, I wouldn't recommend going without your Abs. We had a member about a month back that had his pump rebuilt by a repair service. Abs pumps usually are pretty dependable, but on these vehicles they do act up. I live just over the bridge in Daly City. I wouldn't recommend disarming it, you never know when you need to panic stop! Oakland has got some crazy drivers, I think you know whom I referring to. I've seen some of these nut jobs cutting back and forth on the Oakland bay bridge swinging four lanes at a time. Do some research, you'll find a cheaper priced shop. Mention to them that you would like your old unit rebuilt, if you have the down time. If not you or a friend pull one from pick and pull Oakland. Real cheap that way! Let us know how it turns out. Maybe one of our members can shoot you the rebuild service address I was referring to. Moose.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

nobycane74

Reaction score
Well, at least it is the pump on your Exp.
My 2001 EB 5.4L ABS control module needs to be replaced....the damn light kept coming on, and I even took it to 2 different Ford dealerships, and they said there is nothing wrong with it.....which I called BS.

So I found a regular mechanic that specializes in Ford products and vehicles (a former Ford dealership mechanic) and after 5 hours of sifting through the codes at FORD said is nothing wrong with....he found out that the sensor within the module is bad and the entire thing needs to be replaced.

https://www.carparts.com/details/A1_Cardone/ABS_Control_Module/A11210281.html