AC compressor removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool. I have the compressor's part number in the notes on my phone. I found a reman unit for $106 total on ebay. AZ wants $160 for reman. The dryer is $40 and shipping on ebay and around $80 locally. I haven't checked prices on the orifice tube.

I'll check XL Parts on the dryer and orifice tube. They want almost $300 for the compressor, though, which is too much IMO.

Ive learned over the years when it's safe to use aftermarket/remans and when to use OEM. I have gotten burned a few times on A/C compressors and now thats one thing I will only use OEM on. If your going to do the work you don't want it to take a dump six months down the road. Even though all the "other" places have a lifetime warranty its still not worth the aggravation. Do yourself a favor and go OEM on the compressor.

Notmyidi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to call my contact, its hot out, I have two ac compressors one on a econoline bus and one on a Chevy 3500 bus, ones a whole new system aswell.

I'm apart of a 3 man crew for a 55 bus fleet 36 of those are pos with 70k miles that after the build plus cng conversions (that don't work right even after leaving the retrofitter). That cost a 100k. If the wanted to spend 3.6 million dollars id be happy to flush it down the toilet for them.
One guy was on vacation all week, the other leaves on med leave for 8 weeks on wensday, to say the least I'm slammed

But you know ot $$$

So ill call monday
sent from my mind via of telepathy

Smac

Reaction score
Ive learned over the years when it's safe to use aftermarket/remans and when to use OEM. I have gotten burned a few times on A/C compressors and now thats one thing I will only use OEM on. If your going to do the work you don't want it to take a dump six months down the road. Even though all the "other" places have a lifetime warranty its still not worth the aggravation. Do yourself a favor and go OEM on the compressor.

I just got burned on this as well with a reman. 7 months old and freon has leaked out of the front of the compressor. Found this thread on a Google search because removal looks difficult. Can you work it out from the fender area or does it come out through the top by the upper radiator hose? Great site, glad I found it!

OP
OP
S

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure on that. I put the project on hold. I was planning to pull the sway bar and then drop the compressor out through the bottom. My Expedition is the 4wd model, though. If you have a 2wd, then the compressor may have to come out a different way.

Smac

Reaction score
I'm not sure on that. I put the project on hold. I was planning to pull the sway bar and then drop the compressor out through the bottom. My Expedition is the 4wd model, though. If you have a 2wd, then the compressor may have to come out a different way.

I have a 4WD as well, I plan on doing it this week and I'll let you know how I get it out.

OP
OP
S

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool. I might wait until spring to do mine, that way I can save a little more money and buy a better compressor. I don't know if I should go strictly with a Motorcraft one or if there are other new units on the market that'll work and cost less. I'd like to stay under $200 for the compressor, and then be able to spend whatever I need to on the dryer, orifice tube, oil, and R-134a.

Smac

Reaction score
Picked up a new compressor from 1-800radiator for $149. Can't beat that. I'll post how the install goes when I do it. Probably do it this weekend.

mroyer

Reaction score
Removing a/c compressor

This is the real easy part. On the drag link there are two bolts that bold the drag link to a bracket on the right side of the frame. Remove the two bolts from the bracket and and drag link mount then it will drop, you can push the drag link back and the compressor will drop straight down pulley facing the ground. be careful to remove the wiring connector the compressor and the switch under the compressor before removing.