AC fan picks up speed from low setting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TSieler

Reaction score
Has anyone had this behavior? With the AC set to recirculate and A/C and MAX A/C with fan set to low (1), I’ll be driving down the high way in perfect harmony with my temperature and environment when the fan will pickup and blow harder. The fan still shows it’s on low but the airflow definitely has picked up. It’s almost like fan speed 1 is now blowing at fan speed 2 level and won’t go back to 1. 2018 Expidition Fx4.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone had this behavior? With the AC set to recirculate and A/C and MAX A/C with fan set to low (1), I’ll be driving down the high way in perfect harmony with my temperature and environment when the fan will pickup and blow harder. The fan still shows it’s on low but the airflow definitely has picked up. It’s almost like fan speed 1 is now blowing at fan speed 2 level and won’t go back to 1. 2018 Expidition Fx4.

I’ve had this happen on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 with dual-zone HVAC, while in the manual mode.

Purchased new - no a/c work other than front blower motor replaced under safety recall.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's pretty common in most vehicles that when you switch from RECIRC off to on, the fan speed increases a little, but noticeably. Switch it back off, and fan reduces.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's pretty common in most vehicles that when you switch from RECIRC off to on, the fan speed increases a little, but noticeably. Switch it back off, and fan reduces.

I’m not sure that the fan speed increases as you describe.

Since the sound changes when placed in recirculating mode, perhaps it sounds as though the speed is increasing, but it isn’t?

On my vehicle, it does what the OP describes. While driving with the HVAC is manual (not automatic temperature) and recirculating mode (and no adjustment to the HVAC system), the fan speed will increase while set at a low fan speed.

The Ford dealer recently replaced the front HVAC under a safety recall on mine - am I’m not sure if the the motor is doing the same thing. I’ll have to pay attention to see if it does.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford has a outside gases sensor and an inside particulate matter sensor. Typically this is for auto recirc when outside air is bad but it may also adjust the inside air speed even when on manual setting.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford has a outside gases sensor and an inside particulate matter sensor. Typically this is for auto recirc when outside air is bad but it may also adjust the inside air speed even when on manual setting.
Really? I have heard of this feature on other vehicles but was not aware that Ford had it on the Expedition. So we are clear. The sensor automatically switches to recirculation mode when it senses "bad outside air". Are you sure we have this on our vehicles?

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve not seen this on mine yet. I’m usually in auto. I’ve got a few hundred miles ahead of me this afternoon I’ll see if it will.

my 22 Bronco will do this. It will turn recirc off on its own
also on a power cycle, it will default back to auto

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It happens to me all the time. But recirculate does not go off and on, but the fan speed definitely changes. I just went on a 400 mile trip to Virginia Beach and it did it several times. This also happened in my 2019 Expedition as well.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Note: Recirculated air may turn off automatically, or prevent you from switching on in all air flow modes except MAX A/C to reduce the risk of fogging. Recirculation may also turn on and off automatically in various air distribution control combinations to improve heating or cooling efficiency.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Note: Recirculated air may turn off automatically, or prevent you from switching on in all air flow modes except MAX A/C to reduce the risk of fogging. Recirculation may also turn on and off automatically in various air distribution control combinations to improve heating or cooling efficiency.
But recirc doesn't seem to be turning off, the light stays on and my AC is on MAX. So if it's turning off recirc then it's doing it without turning the light off. When using non-AC (ie heat/vent) the recirc will turn off periodically and the light goes off.